Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU Passing Attack Results

0 HS
Gofor2's picture
October 16, 2015 at 11:57am
28 Comments

I, like many other fans have been disappointed thus far in our ability to connect on the deep ball this year. Obviously after the run thru the last few games last year I expected so much more at this point in our season. 

So this had me thinking, could it be that what we have seen over the last 6 games is much more of a true reflection of C.Jones abilities than what we saw in the last three games of 2014 ? 

Please do not read this as a post critical of Jones, it's not really, nor is it intended to be. But as we all saw last year, during those last 3 games there was some magic that happened. C.Jones was slinging the ball deep more than I have seen a OSU QB ever sling it.

But if you look at the success we had with a critical eye it really was the exceptional play of our receivers that was responsible for the results we had. There were very, very few deep passes that were wonderfully thrown balls that hit the receivers in stride with little effort. In fact the vast majority of them were 50/50 balls that we were incredibly lucky to come down with. Even with the uncanny ability of our receivers to adjust to the ball, we had some catches take place that were downright amazing. The point being that as much as CJ got hyped for the results, it was not because he was so accurate with his arm, in fact he really wasn't accurate at all. We were just crazy lucky and had the magic that is Devin Smith.

i think this is in large part why we are seeing what can only be described as a disappointing start to the year. Because we have not had the same level of luck on those 50/50 balls, and we do not have the advantages to win them like D. Smith gave us. I'm afraid that the level of results we have been seeing is going to be the norm, it doesn't matter who the QB is. We will get some magic from our guys sometime, but not like the end of last year. Watching each game and waiting for results like we saw last year is just going to lead to disappointment. CJ is not that NFL ready QB that he looked like last season, he really never was.  The fact is in the 3 years CJ has been a buckeye he has looked the same or worse than he has over the last 6 games, and that's what you should expect, the last three games of 2014 was just a magic mix of some things I wouldn't expect to see again.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 28 Comments