Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

B1G Ten officiating and more importantly officiating in general

0 HS
buckeye4life050233's picture
October 4, 2015 at 1:20am
34 Comments

I by no means am an expert but I do officiate high school football here in the great state of Ohio and it absolutely astounds me how bad officiating has become at the college and pro level.  There is just no reasoning I can come up with as to why the same officials year in and year out aren't held accountable for terrible calls or incorrect calls. 

In the age of data analytics and high def game tape there has to be a better way to make sure on the best officials are on the field interpreting the game and not influencing the game with bad or incorrect calls. 

I counted 2 times today when once when Indiana punted and once when we punted where the spotter missed the mark by 2 yards.  It was clear as day on the tv shot and there was plenty of time for the replay booth guy to notice it because both times it went to a commercial break before play started again.  In a game of inches 2 yards is a big difference. 

Don't even get me started on the way teams are now blocking the shrug man himself, Joey Bosa.  He is literally being held on 80-90 percent of plays and yet he drew 1 holding call against Indiana, I repeat 1.

Now I do know that officials are reviewed by the league offices but obviously it isn't working because we still get inept crews on a week in week out basis.  When I saw John O'Neill was the head referee against Indiana I immediately turned to the person sitting next to me and said 'well this is going to be interesting' because having seen him and his crew officiate games before I knew how terrible they are.

Lastly it is plays like the BS call against Braxton Miller that took a touchdown off the board that directly influence a game and very well could've changed the outcome of the game.  Same goes for the replay booth.  For some odd reason Ohio State is very unlucky when it comes to replays.  I don't have a direct stat related to this but we rarely if ever get a call overturned or the play to go in our benefit.

End Rant!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 34 Comments