Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Why J.T. Barrett should be the starting QB over Cardale Jones

0 HS
CGroverL's picture
October 3, 2015 at 5:47pm
77 Comments

From day one I have been saying that Barrett should be the starter. I gave and am still giving just one reason.... First, let me say (unlike Meyer's reasoning for starting Jones) that I loved the final 3 games of last season and that surely, since he threw the passes, Cardale Jones was the team's leader and was instrumental in the Bucks winning the title of 2014. Meyer mixes those final 3 games in with Barrett not being able to beat out Jones as the reason why Jones is starting.

He is forgetting about one thing though. What is that? Well, Meyer's offense is a spread option offense despite Wikipedia classifying it as a "power spread" offense. This team is a spread option offense and CARDALE JONES CAN'T PLAY IN A SPREAD OPTION OFFENSE.

Barrett is a perfect spread option QB. Am I the only person in Buckeye Nation that realizes this? Sure, Jones has the bigger arm, but Devin Smith is gone and Jones is underthrowing all of his deep routes. The Bucks will come back and win this game with either QB, but the only way that Ohio State will get better on offense is if J.T. Barrett is running the spread option offense and he can only do that if he is the #1 QB in practice.

It can't be put any simpler than that. Ohio State should be in the bottom half of the top 10 now and will definitely drop in the AP rankings regardless of what happens in this game. I have no doubt in my mind that Ohio State will beat any team they play... but only if Barrett is the QB. Meyer is making a huge mistake and back to back titles are not going to happen with Jones at QB.... sorry. Eventually, Jones will lose...and then it will be too late.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 77 Comments