Blast From The Past: No. 7 Ohio State at No. 4 LSU Sep. 26, 1987

Matt Gutridge's picture
September 25, 2015 at 3:40pm
6 Comments
No. 7 Ohio State at No. 4 LSU September 26, 1987
  1st 2nd 3rd 4th Final
No. 7 Ohio State 3 0 3 7 13
No. 4 LSU 7 3 0 3 13

LSU Tiger StadiumOhio State is 1-1-1 against LSU and 0-0-1 at Tiger Stadium.
BACKGROUND

The Buckeyes entered this game with a 2-0 record and ranked No. 7 in the country. Ohio State opened the season with a 24-3 win over West Virginia. The Buckeyes took advantage of three WV turnovers and led 17-0 after the first quarter. The game was never in doubt as Ohio State's defense was stout and had six interceptions. 

The second game of the season had a much different start. Ohio State came out flat and only scored 3 points in the first half. The Buckeyes found life and put up 14 points within 74 seconds to go up 17-0. Oregon tried to make things interesting in the fourth quarter, but the Buckeyes won 24-14. 

Greg Rogan
Greg Rogan had two INTs late in the fourth quarter. The first saved the game, the second almost won the game.
OHIO STATE PLAYERS
  • Tom Tupa had a touchdown pass.
  •  Matt Frantz made two field goals. However, his blocked field goal attempt is the one everyone remembers.
  • CB Greg Rogan had two critical interceptions late in the fourth quarter. The first interception was near the goal line. The second gave Ohio State a chance to win the game with a last second field goal.

LSU'S PLAYERS
  • Tommy Hodson completed 25/45 passes for 267 yards a TD and two interceptions.
  • Harvey Williams led the Tigers with 55 yards rushing and averaged 3.7 yards per carry.
  • Rogie Magee had 103 yards receiving for an average of 20.6 yards per reception.
  • Linebacker Eric Hill led the Tigers with 13 tackles and had a seven-yard sack.

KEYS TO THE GAME

LSU was on Ohio State's 8-yard line with two minutes remaining in the game and the score tied at 13 When Greg Rogan made his first interception. 

Per chicagotribune:

Quarterback Tom Hodson thought he had Wendell Davis, his favorite receiver, open at the 2-yard line, but it was only an illusion. Rogan stepped in front of Davis and picked off the ball, returning it to his 35.

After Ohio State punted and pinned LSU at the 2-yard line, the Tigers decided to throw deep. Greg Rogan made his second interception and Ohio State was on LSU's 37 yard line with 27 seconds left in the game.

The Buckeyes moved the ball to the 30 before setting up Frantz's chance to win the game:

"I felt it was the best of any kick I had today," said Frantz, "and when I looked up it was floating like a duck. I knew it was blocked."

[...]

Sophomore end Karl Dunbar got a hand on the ball, ending the bruising, emotion-packed struggle.

Earle BruceEarle Bruce was not a fan of ties.

QUOTABLE

After the game Earle Bruce said:

"We don't normally have ties at Ohio State, and we don't like 'em." chicagotribune.com

LSU coach Mike Archer was asked about why he threw the ball near the goal line with under two minutes to play:

"We were playing to win, we'll never play to tie as long as I'm coach here." chicagotribune.com

THE REST OF THE STORY

After the tie Ohio State traveled to Champaign and defeated the Illini 10-6. On 10-3-1987 Earle Bruce and the Buckeyes let the unthinkable happen. Indiana, a team Ohio State had defeated 31 consecutive times came to Columbus and beat the the Buckeyes 31-10. That was Indiana's first win in Columbus since 1951, 36 years. 

From there Ohio State lost three of the next five games including three straight. After losing to Iowa 27-29 Ohio State president Edward Jennings terminated Earle Bruce's contract. Athletic Director Rick Bay resigned two days later in protest. Bruce was allowed to finish his career against That Team and it set-up one of the best contests in The Game's history. Earle Bruce was carried off the field by his players in an iconic moment.

Last GameEarle Bruce finished his Ohio State career as a winner.

MY THOUGHTS OF THE 1987 LSU GAME

Ohio State played from behind for the majority of the game, but took the lead late and had a chance to win at the end. I will always remember Chris Spielman slamming his helmet on the bench when the field goal attempt was blocked. 

Ohio State's 1987 Schedule and Results
Oppontent Result Score
West Virginia W 24-3
Oregon W 24-14
at No. 4 LSU T 13-13
at Illinois W 10-6
Indiana L 10-31
at Purdue W 20-17
Minnesota W 42-9
No. 20 Michigan State L 7-13
at Wisconsin L 24-26
Iowa L 27-29
That Team 23-20

Total 6-4-1 224-181
Big Ten: 5th Place   20-16

THIS WEEK'S ARTICLES

THE RUNDOWN
RECRUITING RECON: WMU'S OFFENSE
RECRUITING RECON: WMU'S DEFENSE

NEXT ARTICLES

This Date In Ohio State History (Sat)
The Ohio State Effect (Sun)

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 6 Comments