Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Meyer's Comments on the "Too Long" Season... Are We Seeing the "Risk Management" Offense Until November?

0 HS
Buckeye Jack's picture
September 22, 2015 at 2:30pm
60 Comments

[Title edited, Coach Meyer's comments added to text]

We are now, hopefully, playing a 15 game season. And QB/RB injuries in the Read/Option are risks that must be managed (if you have the luxury to manage them - we do). 

If we minimize injuies to key players through Western Michigan, Indiana, Penn State, Maryland, Illinois, and Minnesota. We may then have a significant advantage going into the most challenging run of our schedule. And along the way, we can try new looks, and get extra touches for our many talented players. 

We're National Champions. If we can get through our B1G season without a loss, we'll get into the playofff. Period. We don't NEED style points. And I expect the last 5 games to look very different than the first 10.

So, this Buckeye will by happy with a long string of W's - no matter how narrowly we get them. 

Meyer from last December:

"I'm very concerned about the wear and tear on the student-athlete, but we've done a good job as a coaching staff. You do have to treat it a little bit differently about how you practice, the amount of pads contact you have, how many times you've hit the tailback, the offensive line," Meyer said. "Those are things you watch as a staff, and I've watched so close with our strength coach about not wearing them out because it is a much different season."

It used to be 11 games and a bowl game. Now it's 12, plus this and (with conference title games) you're talking about 14, 15 games. That is getting very NFL-ish," Meyer said. "We've been very leery of it, and there is a part of me that's concerned about the wear and tear on the student-athlete.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000452304/article/urban-meyer-conce...

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 60 Comments