Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Quick Post-VT Game Notes/Thoughts

0 HS
Becool12's picture
September 8, 2015 at 7:19am
35 Comments

After watching the game, monitoring Twitter, and checking in on some Buckeye sights, I have a few things to say. Here are some notes of what I think about last night's game:

• Paris Campbell is raw very raw at pass catching. After only a year at Wide Receiver, he still has to work on securing the ball and reigning it in after he catches it. But, what he lacks in catching he makes up for in physicality and blocking. He was manhandling guys out there. 
  • Don't expect big numbers from anyone this season. Yes, we have a cupcake schedule. But, we were also missing 3 of our top playmakers from later last season. They are coming back this week, which means there are more people to spread the ball around to. As a result of everyone getting their touches, we probably won't have a 1000-yard receiver this season and Zeke make not top his numbers from last year.
  • Braxton Miller is still Braxton Miller
  • Cardele needs to work on getting downhill on his read option.
  • QBgeddon: Listen fans, I know many of you have your man-crushes on JT and all that he did last season. But, take a stepback please and realize that arm-chair coaching isn't as good, especially after you call for the starter's head even when he is playing well. Yes, Cardale made some mistakes in his 3 quarters of playing and JT was flawless in his one quarter. We get excited when we see JT make the perfect read in the 4th quarter to slowly run his way 40+ yards but quickly forgot it was the constant beating and bulldozing of the big fella that helped wear VT down anyways. Secondly, VT was already waving the flag after Brewer went down. JT is a great qb, but, when you stack the box against shorter, less physically gifted qb's you almost always have problems. I believe there would have been more sacks, more batted down passes, and possibly more turnovers as a result. Don't believe me, go back to the 2006 National Championship when Urb stacked the box against Troy and that offensive line. Cardale provides big play capabilities in a game where they are needed. He also has the physical abilities to break quite a few arm tackles from bigger defenders that may have gobbled up smaller qb's. Also, he is roughly 4 inches taller than Barrett plus more with his arm length. This gives him an advantage at physically seeing more of the field. He is also able to make more passes because of this size (ex: the dumpoff pass to Zeke in the flats over the defender's head). I'm not saying Cardale should start every single game, but at least that was the right choice for the VT game. 
  • Raekwon the Chef deserve a lot of attention and respect after that game. That man quietly put on a show and seemed to be in on every tackle.
  • After all of these years, Fick still can't defend the damn tight end screen/roll-back pass. 
  • Tommy Schutt proved himself last night. I was extremely worried before the game last night, but he quickly calmed me. He looked great, and was the only person who even noticed the fullback streaking down the left side of the field. The poor guy just didn't have the abilities to go get him. 
  • Vonn Bell is a high risk, high reward kind of player. When it works, he's great. When it doesn't, he makes our defensive coordinators look like shit.
  • Gareon Conley put together a great game. He looked like a veteran out there. I'm excited to see what he can do as the season continues.
  • Oh, last point, Zeke is a hell of a blocker. He killed some man on Braxt's td run

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 35 Comments