Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Some Basic Info on Virginia Tech's Offense

0 HS
buckeye phi's picture
August 30, 2015 at 5:21pm
104 Comments

I posted a topic last week with Some Basic Info on Virginia Tech's Defense.  Here's the follow-up with the other side of the ball.

Much like the Hokie's defense, they try to keep you guessing with a fair amount of different formations on offense.  It remains to be seen whether their offensive coordinator, Scot Loeffler, will ever be held in the same regard as the venerable Bud Foster, however. 

Loeffler likes to call his approach "a college-friendly pro-style" offense.  Their base formation is pretty much a standard pro set.  Out of that, they'll have some 'west coast' tendencies.  On the most recent depth chart I could find (from earlier this month), you'll find the typical two wide, a tight end and a fullback.    http://www.roanoke.com/sports/columns_and_blogs/blogs/andy_bitter_virginia_tech_football/examining-the-hokies-initial-august-depth-chart/article_272fb55e-3dcb-11e5-9412-d7bb96d79944.html

They will go no-huddle at times - generally hoping to capitalize on what they feel are mismatches they can create with some of their personnel.  They'll increase their tempo sometimes, too.  (Sound familiar?). 

They feel strongly about their tight ends - and they should.  Both Ryan Malleck and Bucky Hodges are on the Mackey Award watch list (along with our own Nick Vannett).  They have a third tight end, Kalvin Cline, who showed some promise before an injury - and is a fashionable choice to contribute this season as well. (Sorry - couldn't help myself)

Obviously, this is an area where they feel they'll be able to create some of those mismatches.  Both Malleck and Hodges are athletic enough to flex out in a bit of a hybrid tight end/wide receiver role (think Jake Stoneburner). 

They will definitely run some two-tight end stuff at us - but they won't find the same kind of mismatches they're accustomed to verses the likes of Lee, Perry and McMillan.  For that matter, Tyvis Powell is 6'3". 

Both of their wide receivers are returning starters as sophomores.  The coaches are high on both of them - especially, Isiah Ford.  Unlike tight end, they are not deep at all at wide receiver.  Finding a viable third wr is apparently still an issue - although, it sounds like they'll be going to two tight ends more than they'll be going to three wide in any case.

Their fullback, Sam Rogers is another versatile player.  He's a team leader who knows their offense inside and out.  We can expect to see him all over the place. 

They seem to be fine with Senior, JC Coleman starting at running back in spite of his rather odd dimensions at 5'6" - 192.  Trey Edmunds is considered to be a solid back-up. 

Of course, we all remember Michael Brewer from last year's game - and those third and longs he seemed to be able to convert all evening.  In his second year quarterbacking Loeffler's offense, he should actually be much improved.  Joey Bosa picked a heck of a game to miss. 

Their offensive line is a little harder to figure.  They have one really solid returning starter in left guard, Wyatt Teller.  Much like our left guard, Billy Price, he's also the strongest man on their team.  But for some reason, he spent some time with the second team during fall camp - although their coaches have assured everybody he'll play.  Regardless, it seems like an odd way to prepare for a team like Ohio State.

The coaches seem to feel pretty good about the center and the right guard - but I don't get the sense they're anything particularly special.  They seem to have confidence in their left tackle, Jonathan McLaughlin. 

But a name you may be hearing a lot on Labor Day evening is Wade Hanson (RT).  I get the sense that there's less confidence in him than the rest of the other four starters - so Sam Hubbard may be off to the races in his first start at SDE.  Apparently, the Hokies are not deep at all on the o-line.  One injury and they're in deep trouble.

Like most games, this one will probably be determined in the trenches.  I know we'll have some new starters among our front four - but I have to think we'll be putting more talent on the field than the Hokies.  And our back seven could have a huge night.  I think we'll match-up very favorably across the board.

As much as Bud Foster has earned our respect (along with everyone else's), the jury is still out on Scot Loeffler - way, way out.  Virginia Tech is good about recruiting good solid, hard-working (though generally not spectacular) kids.  They tend to be smart enough to handle some rather complex schemes (particularly in Foster's defenses). 

But it seems to me, Loeffler's asking them to do an awful lot with his offense.  When you try to be good at everything, you often end up not being very good at anything.  There's a reason we run the kind of offense we do. 

These are college kids - not the New England Patriots (which is the offense I think he's shooting for).  Loeffler has coached some fine quarterbacks in the past including Tom Brady - so that might be where that aspect is coming from. 

Loeffler served under UFM for a while - because of that I want to like him.  But he's a Michigan alum - so I can't.  In any case, Cris Ash should easily win this battle of wits - and he has a great deal more talent to work with, besides. 

I believe this will be where the game is won.  In it's simplest terms - I don't think there is any way the Hokies will put up more points against us than Oregon could in our last game.  Particularly since college offenses are typically behind the defenses to begin the season. 

But I think both our defense and our offense may be sharper in game one than usual.  It doesn't get mentioned much - but we had a lot of extra practice time preparing for the national championship - and we're returning most of those players.  I know it was all the way back in January - but in this age of limited practice time, that could also have an impact -

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 104 Comments