Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Does Meyer have something special planned for VT?

0 HS
D-Day0043's picture
August 20, 2015 at 10:09pm
100 Comments

With GameDay nearing, I am ready to start talking some X's and O's.

The talk of Perry stepping into fill Bosa's spot at defensive end against VT got me thinking.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Meyer has got something up his sleeve defensively to use against the Hokies in the season opener. A little "pay back" if you will, for Virginia Tech's use of the bear defense against the Buckeyes last year.

If he plans on using Perry, I am thinking that they are going to show some sort of 3-4 look. The Buckeyes have a plethora of young studs in the line-backing corps, and only one returning starter, Adolfus Washington, for this game on the defensive line.

I am thinking that Meyer, Fickell (I don't want to leave anyone out for the readers with anal retention), Coombs, LJ Sr., and Ash are going to find a way to utilize the strength of the linebacking corps to cover the weakness on the defensive line.

One benifit to the 3-4 scheme is that you never know where the 4th rusher is coming from, and making it difficult for the offensive line to get into the correct blocking assignment.

With McMillan and Lee being so good in coverage, that would free up whoever is playing the fourth linebacker to either drop into coverage or blitz.

They could literally mix up the calls and blitz from every angle, or with the speed of our players, drop into coverage.

I may be completely wrong about the scheme, but I certainly do feel like we are going to see something defensively from the Buckeyes that we do not normally see. Plus, I can see Meyer making it a point to show Bud Foster that he isn't the only one who can come up with something schematically different than they have shown before and execute it.

What are your thoughts? What are some things defensively that you think they could do under the circumstances? Say they do run a version of the 3-4 defense, who would be the 4th linebacker, or who would rotate in?

Discuss...

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 100 Comments