Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Woody Goes For Eight Late In 1961 Buckeye-Wolverine Game

0 HS
Icouldnotgofor3's picture
July 18, 2015 at 9:05pm
18 Comments

We all know how much Coach Hayes loathed TTUN, but I found a football fact unknown to me previously in the 1961 Ohio State-UM game played in Ann Arbor. Now I have a fuller grasp of where Urban Meyer gets some of his coaching prowess from and it goes back a long way. This is just so beautiful.  With Ohio State winning by 22 points late in the 4th quarter, Hayes put a total knockout punch on UM in front of their home crowd. The Wolverines had just scored to make it 42-20. Here is what happened next:

"With 34 seconds showing on the clock, Ohio State took the kick-off on its own 20. Sparma passed to Warfield for a 70-yard gain and a first down on the Michigan 10. Two passes were incomplete and then Sparma hit Tidmore on the five and Tidmore wriggled his way over for the score. A Sparma to Tidmore pass made a two-point conversion and settled the final score with five seconds left on the clock: Ohio State 50, Michigan 20."

Hayes went for the two-point conversion with 5 seconds left in the game, up by 28 points! So beautiful - *sniff*  Your thoughts?

Link to rest of the story: http://library.osu.edu/projects/OSUvsMichigan/news/1961.htm

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 18 Comments