Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Assistance

0 HS
ckennard22's picture
July 5, 2015 at 11:46am
13 Comments

I am currently scheduled to voluntarily write a column for a few local newspapers, with a title something along the lines of "This Week in Buckeye Football History". I am coming up with my schedule now, so that I can have some time to put the pieces together so there is some quality involved. The reason I titled this "Assistance" is two-fold. The first reason is to see if I can gather some ideas about whether the games I selected make sense, and the second reason is to see if anyone would want me to post this in a blog on here, if it is not something that is already done (remember, I'm new to this site still), if I am able to get the Helmet Stickers to do so. Please let me know what you think, because this is the first time I am ever attempting to do something like this. 

Week One: OSU vs. Virginia Tech - 2003 Ohio State vs. Washington - I selected this game, because it was the last time Ohio State opened the season after a national championship, and it was against a Power-Five Conference team.

Week Two: OSU vs. Hawaii - 1981 Ohio State vs. Duke - I selected this game because it was on the same date 34 years ago, as well as Woody's first game since he was released from his duties

Week Three: OSU vs. N. Illinois - 2006 Ohio State vs. N. Illinois - I selected this game because it is the last time OSU played N. Illinois

Week Four: OSU vs. W. Michigan - 1941 Ohio State vs. Missouri - Not much to write about with W. Michigan, so I selected Paul Brown's first game as coach of OSU, where he had a tough time getting into the stadium

Week Five: OSU @ Indiana - 1991 Ohio State vs. Indiana - OSU had not won in 3 out of their previous four match-ups with Indiana (This actually happened believe it or not)

Week Six: OSU vs. Maryland - 2006 Ohio State vs. Michigan - I selected this game because there's no history of OSU vs. Maryland, and because this is, in my opinion, the best game of my lifetime outside of when we beat Bama

Week Seven: OSU vs. Penn State - 1975 Ohio State vs. Penn State - This is the game where Woody Hayes got pissed at Joe Paterno pre-game

Week Eight: OSU @ Rutgers - 2011 Ohio State vs. Wisconsin - I picked this one because it's a thriller and there is no history in OSU vs. Rutgers

Week Nine: BYE - 2009 Ohio State vs. Iowa - I picked this game because it involves my favorite player in a game against a ranked opponent that went into overtime

Week Ten: OSU vs. Minnesota - 1942 Ohio State vs. Minnesota - the "Bad Water Game" that almost cost OSU a shot at the national title that year

Week Eleven: OSU @ Illinois - 1916 Ohio State @ Illinois - Chic Harley begins his career with a bang against Illinois

Week Twelve: OSU vs. Michigan State - 2012 Ohio State vs. Michigan State - Urban Meyer vs. Mark Dantonio I (at their current schools), which was a thriller

Week Thirteen - OSU @ Michigan - 1919 Ohio State @ Michigan - Chic Harley beats Michigan

Week Fourteen - Big Ten Championship Week - I still have not decided on a game for this week yet

Week Fifteen - Army-Navy Week - I am still contemplating a few ideas here. I was considering doing an "Army-Navy Week Special" where I use an old Army-Navy game because I have a lot of respect for that rivalry, although it's lost virtually all of it's bite. My other idea was to use the 1997 Rose Bowl where we beat Arizona State

Please feel free to let me know your thoughts! I realize there may be a few trolls, but I'm willing to take the risk! 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 13 Comments