Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

This Date in Gray Box History: Rod Smith (7-1)

Matt Gutridge's picture
July 1, 2015 at 6:23pm
7 Comments

This series will highlight the commitment anniversary date of Ohio State players. I have commitment dates from 2003-2015.

Note: I don't have all of the commitment dates for all of the players from those years, but I'm working on it.

Rod Smith

Rod Smith had a .975 comp. rating and was the 3rd ranked RB in the 2010 class.

ON JULY 1, 2009 ROD SMITH (RB) COMMITTED TO OHIO STATE
Excerpt of an article from scout.com:

When Roderick Smith woke up this morning, he knew he was going to be a Buckeye.

Ohio State head coach Jim Tressel, athletics director Gene Smith and the rest of the Buckeyes had to wait to learn that fact.

The four-star running back prospect from Fort Wayne (Ind.) Paul Harding told BuckeyeSports.com that he knew he would be issuing a verbal commitment before he made the trip to Columbus. Once he was there, that feeling was reassured.

"I was with the head coach and the AD and I told them I figured it was time to commit," Smith said.

"They were shocked. I didn't tell them when I was coming down that I was going to commit. Now I know I get to play for a big, great college program."

[...]

Smith's final choice came down to the Buckeyes and Michigan State. Despite speculation that he still has work to do academically, Smith told BuckeyeSports.com that he will have no problems gaining admission to Ohio State. "I just felt I wanted to get it over with so I have something that I don't have to worry about," he said. "I don't have to worry about that anymore."

Rod Smith

Rod Smith was dismissed in October, but still signed with the Seattle Seahawks.  

SMITH IS DISMISSED IN OCTOBER
Excerpts from an article by Patrick Maks:

Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer confirmed senior running back Rod Smith has been dismissed.

"Rod Smith has left the Ohio State football team in order to deal with some personal issues," Meyer said through a released statement Tuesday afternoon. "We will continue to support Rod and we wish him the best."

Eleven Warriors first reported Smith — who was let go for failing a drug test (a violation of team rules) — had been booted Monday night. 

Meyer said Smith, who's on track to graduate, will remain on scholarship.

"He's had issues really since he's been at Ohio State ... it's disappointing, but we wish him well," Meyer said on the Big Ten coaches teleconference. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 7 Comments