Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

This Date in Gray Box History: 6-26

Matt Gutridge's picture
June 26, 2015 at 5:31pm
8 Comments

This series will highlight the commitment anniversary date of Ohio State players. I have commitment dates from 2003-2015.

Note: I don't have all of the commitment dates for all of the players from those years, but I'm working on it. 

Darron Lee

Darron Lee had a .860 comp. rating and was the 23rd ranked ATH in the 2012 class. 

ON JUNE 26, 2012 DARRON LEE (ATH) COMMITTED TO OHIO STATE

From Luke Zimmerman of landgrantholyland.com:

"Urban Nation" lands a 6'1", 205 lb athlete who runs a 40 at a reported 4.64 seconds. The New Albany, Ohio product projects by most to defensive back and is a consensus 3-star talent by all the major recruiting services.

With the addition of Lee, Ohio State now has 13 verbal commitments for the Class of 2013. It'll be interesting to see if Ohio State moves on as most expect to target an interior lineman to keep the class moving forward.

Sugar Bowl Defensive MVP

Darron Lee was named Defensive MVP of the 2015 Sugar Bowl. 

Excerpts from Michael Citro's article Can Lee Replace RDS? (3-9-14):

I don’t know what everyone else thought but, to me, the biggest surprise of the first week was hearing that Darron Lee was running with the starting linebackers and that his name was being floated as the possible successor to Ryan Damn Shazier.

That isn’t meant to be an indictment of Lee as a player. He’s quite honestly an unknown to most of us who don’t spend a great deal of our time at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center.

[...]

Can Lee make the leap?

It’s way too early to tell if Lee even remains with the first team, but why not him? His name may not have made the same splash as a Vonn Bell or a Mike Mitchell, but he didn’t enter as chopped liver, either.

[...]

Many players with lesser credentials have achieved great things wearing the Scarlet & Gray. There’s no reason why Lee can’t follow in Shazier’s footsteps.

Darron Lee

Darron Lee was instrumental in Ohio State winning the national championship.

On 12-16-14 Citro followed up with this article:

...I'll be honest. I didn't know if he could do it. But, nine months later, it’s easy to see why the coaches had a guy we had formerly penciled in at safety or star playing as a first-team linebacker. Just yesterday he was named to ESPN’s Big Ten All-Freshman Team. 

The 6-foot-2, 228-pound redshirt freshman is having a breakout season. Lee is third on the team in tackles, with 66 (43 solo). But his impact goes beyond simply making stops. He has shown a knack for making big, game-changing plays that has lessened the loss of a standout like Shazier.

Lee has 13.5 tackles for loss this season, which is second on the team, for a total of 59 yards lost by Ohio State’s opponents. His 5.5 sacks are third, behind Joey Bosa (13.5) and Michael Bennett (6). His knack for the big play extends to turnovers. He has intercepted two passes, forced a fumble and recovered two others this season.

[...]

The best thing about Lee’s outstanding freshman season is that he’s only scratching the surface of the player he can become. His career trajectory is off to a blazing start. As he matures at the position, he’ll have the chance to place his name beside guys like Shazier, Chris Spielman, A.J. Hawk, James Laurinaitis and other OSU legendary linebackers.

Darron Lee is a Twitter King. Lee Sacks Troll Lord by DJ Byrnes on 11-9-14:

ESPN personality/troll lord Skip Bayless did not think highly of Ohio State's chances:

MICHIGAN STATE: We will be there tomorrow 10-12E. Come watch me annihilate Stephen A the way your team will Ohio State.

— Skip Bayless (@RealSkipBayless) November 6, 2014

Enter linebacker Darron Lee, who minced no words:

@RealSkipBayless don't ever bet against me and my brothers again.

— Darron Lee (@DLeeMG8) November 9, 2014

Lee finished with six tackles on the night, but I think he should get credit for this one too.

Darron Lee's highlights from his junior year in high school:

Darronl Lee

Darron Lee had a great performance against Marion Franklin.

Personal Note:

I watched Darron Lee and New Albany defeat Marion Franklin at Gahanna Lincoln High School 32-30 in OT on 11-16-2012. After watching Lee's performance in that game I told everyone I knew that Darron Lee was going to be special. Lee was a man among boys on a field with DI college talent.

Darron Lee works hard and plays hard. He has shown that he has the talent and drive to succeed at the highest level of college football. I'm looking forward to watching his Ohio State career unfold and what he will accomplish in the NFL.

Darron Lee champion.

Darron Lee, champion.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 8 Comments