Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Woody Shocked Me - With A PASS

0 HS
Icouldnotgofor3's picture
June 25, 2015 at 9:23am
40 Comments

The following video is a culmination of the 1954 Ohio State national title team's season as narrated by a young Woody Hayes game by game. This video is about 40 minutes long but is absolute gold for any Buckeye football fan. Did you know that Woody opened the season against the Hoosiers in the Shoe by throwing a pass on the very FIRST play of scrimmage? I was shocked, I say shocked that Woody did that. As you can see, it was a completion from QB Leggett to Brubaker. OSU played some stout defense back then led by Jim Parker. Those early games against California in the shoe, then the mauling of Illinois on the road, and then the heart-stopping finish of the Iowa game at home, this season had it all. 

My favorite moment however is Hopalong Cassidy's 90-yard interception return for a TD against the Ameche led Badgers in the Shoe. I started the video at that mark for your very early enjoyment. Trailing 7-3 late 3rd quarter with the Badgers driving deep into OSU territory, Cassidy steps in front of the UW receiver and is off to the races. If this doesn't get your football adrenaline going early, I don't know what will. Hopalong played both sides of the ball (Chris Gamble anyone?) and Hubie Bobo was a halfback who did the punting. QB Leggett also played defense. What a season. That was some hard nosed football..........

Enjoy............

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 40 Comments