Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

This Date in Gray Box History: 6-24

Matt Gutridge's picture
June 24, 2015 at 8:19pm
15 Comments

This series will highlight the commitment anniversary date of Ohio State players. I have commitment dates from 2003-2015.

Note: I don't have all of the commitment dates for all of the players from those years, but I'm working on it. 

Jonathan Newsome

Jonathan Newsome had a .880 comp. rating and was the 24th ranked OLB in the 2009 class. 

ON JUNE 24, 2008 JONATHAN NEWSOME (OLB) COMMITTED TO OHIO STATE

From Tim May of The Columbus Dispatch:

Jonathan Newsome became the 23rd commitment to the 2009 Ohio State football class, and he came from a familiar place.

An outside linebacker at Cleveland Glenville, Newsome is the sixth player to commit to the class since Friday. Newsome, 6 feet 3 and 230 pounds, said the time was right to make this decision.

"I know Ohio State is where I want to go, and there's no sense putting off the decision any more," he said.

Excerpts from Kristen Davis of cleveland.com:

Glenville defensive end Jonathan Newsome orally committed to Ohio State on Tuesday.

Newsome, recruited as a defensive end and outside linebacker, is ranked among the top-60 defensive ends in the country.

His finalists were OSU, Michigan State and Illinois.

"It's final, I'm not changing my mind," Newsome said of the commitment that is non-binding until signing day in February. "I always knew Ohio State was No. 1. They offered me in early February. I was one of their first offers. But I wanted to take my time. I looked at other schools and in the end it seemed Ohio State was the right fit. My mother liked Ohio State I liked Ohio State."

[...]

Now that his college decision is taken care of, next up is working on Tarblooders teammate Marcus Hall, one of the nation's top five offensive tackles who is considering the Buckeyes.

"I'm going to let him decide what's best for him," Newsome said. "I'm not going to put pressure on him because he's my friend. But don't think I'm not going to be there in his ear whispering Ohio State."

Newsome said Hall is not close to making a decision. He believes Hall will wait until he takes some official campus visits in the fall. 

Newsome left Ohio State in 2011:

Newsome’s high school coach, Cleveland (Oh.) Glenville’s Ted Ginn Sr., told the Dispatch that Newsome plans to transfer, although he was enrolled in classes at OSU.  It’s unclear where the linebacker will land if he does indeed decide to transfer.

Newsome was a three-star member of OSU’s 2009 recruiting class.  He played in 13 games last season.

Newsome transferred to Ball State

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 15 Comments