Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

This Date In Gray Box History: 6-23

Matt Gutridge's picture
June 23, 2015 at 8:39pm
10 Comments

This series will highlight the commitment anniversary date of Ohio State players. I have commitment dates from 2003-2015.

Note: I don't have all of the commitment dates for all of the players from those years, but I'm working on it. 

Corey Brown

Corey "Pittsburgh" Brown was a captain on the 2013 team. He had a .949 comp. rating and was the 11th ranked CB in the 2009 class. 

ON JUNE 23, 2008 COREY BROWN (CB) COMMITTED TO OHIO STATE

From The Columbus Dispatch:

Ohio State's football recruiting snowball kept rolling downhill this afternoon when Pennsylvania dual threat Corey Brown picked the Buckeyes...

Brown, a wide receiver and defensive back from Monroeville (Gateway), Pa., became the 21st pledge to OSU's 2009 recruiting class...

[...]

"I picked Ohio State really because of everything you can think of," Brown said by phone. "The academics, the coaches, the facilities, the tradition, the great players they've got now, the way they keep playing for championships --- they've got everything you want up there."

He also became the second player from his school to choose OSU in the last six weeks, joining blue-chip linebacker prospect Dorian Bell.

Brown made his announcement at a mid-afternoon press conference. He had a long list of options, ranging from Michigan, Pittsburgh and Notre Dame to Alabama and West Virginia. In the end he said his final three were OSU, Pitt and Michigan.

He became the fourth out-of-state commitment in four days to choose OSU. Duron Carter, a wide receiver from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., who is the son of former Buckeye All-American Cris Carter, made his decision Friday. Running back Carlos Hyde of Naples, Fla., but originally from Cincinnati, and Louisville (Male), Ky., athlete Justin Green, brother of former OSU defensive lineman Marcus Green, both made up their minds on Sunday.

Terry McLaurin

Terry McLaurin had a .905 comp. rating and was the 34th ranked wide receiver.

ON JUNE 23, 2013 TERRY McLAURIN () COMMITTED TO OHIO STATE

Excerpts from Jeremy Birmingham's Gray Box article:

Indianapolis (Cathedral HS) wide receiver Terry McLaurin has committed to Ohio State. McLaurin, a 6-foot, 190-pounder, was working hard to receive an Ohio State offer, which he picked up on Friday, and today he becomes the 13th member of the Buckeyes' 2014 recruiting class. He is the second player from Indiana to pledge for the Buckeyes, joining Gary wideout Lonnie Johnson. 

"Honestly, it feels great because I know I earned this," McLaurin told Eleven Warriors. "I feel a great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction that I went out and earned the scholarship, it feels great."

[...]

"They told me that I will be in the Percy Harvin role, a  slot wide receiver, jet sweep-type of guy and I love that," McLaurin said. "Harvin is a receiver that I look up to and I would like to think our games are similar. Plus, knowing the success he had in Coach Meyer's offense is exciting."

From Tim Shoemaker's Take Notice article on 3-29-15:

McLaurin was the "other" receiver in Ohio State's 2014 recruiting class as Johnnie Dixon was the most highly-touted guy in that group.

But McLaurin has shown flashes of brilliance this spring, according to his teammates. The formerfour-star prospect out of Indianapolis, McLaurin, like Dixon, redshirted last season as a true freshman.

On Ohio State's spring roster, he's listed at 6-foot-1, 200 pounds and was one of the faster guys is the Buckeyes' 2014 class.

Ohio State has an embarrassment of riches at the skill positions. I hope McLaurin can become a difference maker. 

Terry McLaurin

Looking forward to seeing McLaurin do this on Saturdays this fall.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 10 Comments