Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

2002 Championship Team: Where Are They Now?

0 HS
BGSUBucksFan's picture
June 23, 2015 at 8:59am
41 Comments

Pretty cool insight into the careers (football and post-football) of the 2002 squad.

http://collegespun.com/national/where-are-they-now-the-national-champion...

Donnie Nickey's uncle was one of my high school teachers and football coaches, so I found it interesting that Donnie struggled with substance abuse after his career.  Glad to see he's back on track:

FS Donnie Nickey

Nickey was picked in the fifth round of the 2003 NFL Draft by the Tennessee Titans, and played nine seasons with the team, becoming a special teams standout. He struggled with life after football, abusing alcohol and painkillers, before turning to sobriety in March 2014. Since then, Nickey has assisted at Discovery Place, a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center for men, and works in the financial industry at MetLife Strategic Financial Partners.

Cie Grant is an engineer?!  Nice!

Cie Grant

Grant is probably best known for his rendition of “Carmen Ohio” performed during the national championship celebration. He recorded another version of the song in January as his alma mater pursued the College Football Playoff national championship. A three-year NFL veteran with the New Orleans Saints, Grant lives in the Pittsburgh area, where he works as an engineer in the oil and gas industry.

Honestly when I was younger I thought Nuge would prove to be the best NFL kicker of all time.  I thought he was that good.  Was that just me being a homer or did others feel the same?

I'm ashamed to admit I didn't recognize any of the offensive line names.  I was 13 years old at the time and didn't follow the Bucks nearly as religiously as I do now.  I think Cooper ruined my younger years for me.

The secondary was loaded! 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 41 Comments