Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

This Date In Gray Box History: 6-22

Matt Gutridge's picture
June 22, 2015 at 8:23pm
8 Comments

This series will highlight the commitment anniversary date of Ohio State players. I have commitment dates from 2003-2015.

Note: I don't have all of the commitment dates for all of the players from those years, but I'm working on it. 

Carlos Hyde

Carlos Hyde had a .908 composite rating and was the No. 1 ranked FB in the 2009 recruiting class. 

ON JUNE 22, 2008 CARLOS HYDE (FB) COMMITTED TO OHIO STATE 

Excerpts from Naple Daily News:

Carlos Hyde had been watching those big-but-blazing Buckeyes running backs since he was little.

As it turns out, hi-def's got nothing on The Horseshoe.

"We walked through the bleachers, and when we came out it was like, ‘Wow ... this field's big,'" the Naples High running back said. "They had the turf and all that. Then when we walked down to the middle of the field and I stood on that O? I could just see myself running down that field with the fans going crazy."

That vision, plus an instant attraction to campus, Jim Tressel's program and a chance to return to the state where he was raised was all Hyde needed to give Ohio State his verbal commitment on Sunday.

"It was the right place for me to be," said Hyde, who moved from Cincinnati to live with his grandmother in winter 2006. "I can go home anytime I want and my family can come to games. I've always been a Buckeyes fan and I couldn't wait to get an offer from them. As soon as I did, I took the visit and I went ahead and committed."

[...]

"They're taking me as a tailback," said Hyde, who can't officially sign until early February 2009. "They need another guy because Chris Wells is supposed to be leaving after his junior year for the draft. They're going to fit me in like they fitted him in. I want to replace him as the power back, and they said they need somebody who's explosive to run the ball."

That's Hyde.

As a junior, he averaged nearly seven yards per carry and often inflicted more damage than his would-be tacklers. Recruiting services list his 40-yard dash time in the 4.6-second range, meaning he's got the speed and size to follow in the mold of big-bodied Buckeyes Eddie George, Maurice Clarett and Keith Byars, among others.

[...]

"It is nice to decide," said Hyde, who will join former Immokalee star Brian Rolle, a sophomore linebacker, as local products in Columbus. "Now I can just relax and focus on this season coming up."

Excerpts from The Columbus Dispatch:

Carlos Hyde, a running back from Florida, today became the 19th commitment to Ohio State's 2009 recruiting class. Hyde, 6 feet 1, 235 pounds, could not be reached immediately for comment, but his mother Dermidra Hyde confirmed the news.

"He is very excited about this, and he's really looking forward to playing for Ohio State," she said. "All he could talk about was how nice and pretty the campus is and how he can't wait to be a Buckeye."

She spoke to The Dispatch by telephone from her home in Cincinnati. Her son, who visited OSU over the weekend, lives with her mother in Naples, Fla., where he was being sought by the big three in that state -- Florida, Miami and Florida State -- along with many others schools.

Carlos Hyde

Carlos Hyde rushed for 3,198 yards, 6.1 ypc and 37 rushing TDs at Ohio State.

Kevin Feder

Kevin Feder was ranked as the No. 56 OT and had a .870 comp. rating. More importantly Feder is 6-9, 305 pounds and is still growing. 

ON JUNE 22, 2014 KEVIN FEDER (OT) COMMITTED TO OHIO STATE

A year ago today the tall one, Kevin Feder, announced he was flipping from Miami to be a Buckeye. Let's take a stroll down memory lane with excerpts from Jeremy Birmingham's article last year:

Urban Meyer and Ohio State flipped a big one today.

Kevin Feder, an offensive tackle for national powerhouse Don Bosco Prep, was a member of Miami's 2015 class on Friday. While in Columbus Saturday, Ohio State offered. Now, the 6-foot-9, 305-pound tackle, is a future Buckeye. He took to Twitter to announce his commitment. 

The Ramsey, New Jersey native provided a dominant performance during Ohio State's one-day positional camp, standing out as much for his athleticism as his impressive size (and he may not be done at 6‘9”). One current player told Eleven Warriors that Feder was “the biggest human being I've ever seen.”

Though just a three-star prospect, Feder's potential far outweighs his current national rankings. Though committed to the Hurricanes for five months, he held offers from Michigan State, Tennessee, Maryland and other major programs. As for Ohio State, it didn't take long for the staff to see that Feder could play major college football.

[...]

"Ohio State said if I make the trip out there, there's a possibility I could get an offer from them," Feder told NJ.com's Todderick Hunt. "So I might be going out there with two of my teammates, and there are a few other places really interested in me, too."

That trip happened, that offer happened, and today Feder is a Buckeye.

From Jeremy Birmingham's Inked Article:

As a senior, Feder played some at tight end for Don Bosco Prep, utilizing his size and athletic ability as a de facto sixth lineman. He told Buckeye fans that is not in his future.

"Even though I did play a little tight end this year, the plan is for me to come in and play as a left tackle," Feder shared with 11W. "Although it sounds fun to to catch a few balls and score some touchdowns, I'm more satisfied with protecting my QBs blindside."

Kevin Feder

Kevin Feder is a large athletic human. I dare you to call him Kevin Federline.

Carlos Hyde's HS Highlight Tape:

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 8 Comments