Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Recruiting styles: Guarantano and Wallace

0 HS
huffdaddy's picture
April 16, 2015 at 5:50pm
30 Comments

I'm not a long-time recruitment geek, but have been really intrigued by the 2016 dynamics. Putting aside the question of whether Guarantano or Wallace is the better get (I mean, they haven't played their senior years let alone showed up for college film sessions), the recruitment narrative is interesting.

Guarantano told people he was "blown away" by Tennessee and the atmosphere there. I kept wondering what that meant, given the atmosphere in Knoxville is not better than Columbus. This post gets into more depth obviously with a bunch of Tennessee spin -https://tennessee.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1757504. The spin is basically that the Tennessee coaches knew his family, knew his sister, talked to him a lot about his family, etc. They also clearly called all the time and just showered him with love.

In the meanwhile, Wallace talked about his OSU recruitment and about Urban this way: "I know Coach Meyer is going to be hard on me and be just like my dad."

I find it hard to believe that Tennessee out-worked OSU for Guarantano - it would really surprise me, for instance, if OSU coaches didn't get to know his family. But maybe the coaches and programs are selling something completely different? Maybe Urban is unabashedly selling tough love, and Butch Jones is selling something a little warmer? Anyone have some insight on what Urban's full court press actually looks like with a top recruit?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 30 Comments