Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

12-Gauge: Fearless Or Reckless?

0 HS
Icouldnotgofor3's picture
April 15, 2015 at 8:03am
53 Comments

As an "old school" QB myself many years ago, one of the greatest plays of the season (IMHO) at the Sugar Bowl versus No. 1 Alabama was when Cardale Jones trucked (big time) All-American DB Landon Collins on a critical drive for OSU just before halftime that allowed the Buckeyes to cut the Tide lead to one-point. When I was playing, the QB was an integral "part" of the game. We got hit, and we also dished it out given the opportunity. It's just how we "rolled". The only "sliding" we did was in baseball. The game has obviously changed since then and safety is an understandable issue.

On this play, the video clearly shows 12-Gauge running vertical at full throttle and makes NO attempt to avoid the defender or slide to protect himself. He lowers the shoulder and obliterates Collins. The initial impact of contact was at the 16-yard line and when the play is whistled dead, Collins is on his *** at the 12. That is "4 yards backwards and a cloud of dust baby".

Considering the magnitude of the game at hand, and the lack of a true QB at the time as a back-up, was Cardale reckless or simply fearless on this particular play? I opt to believe he was fearless. You simply do NOT see QB's make these kinds of plays anymore. This is how we played many years ago, and 12-Gauge would have been a perfect fit at my H.S. Your thoughts?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 53 Comments