Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The Most Returning to a Defending Championship Team Ever?

0 HS
buckeye phi's picture
March 8, 2015 at 10:08pm
49 Comments

I posed this question in a thread on another subject recently and either nobody cared - or nobody knew the answer.  So I thought I'd try it as a topic here.  I know, I know - it's a looong off-season. 

By the way, I should give Remy some of the credit/blame for this topic.  His posts undoubtedly influenced the thought process.

We're losing seven seniors who were starters last season along with our nickel, Armani Reaves (due to injury).  But that may be a little misleading. 

Because of the injury Jeff Heuerman struggled with much of the season, his "back-up", Nick Vannett, almost certainly put in more total reps at tight end.  Vannett ended-up with a few more receptions than Heuerman, incidentally. 

Kwon saw a lot of much-deserved playing time at middle linebacker - significantly more than a freshman back-up would typically see.  And Michael Thomas was heavily involved in the wide receiver rotation - leading the team with fifty-four receptions.  (Devin Smith was the leader in receving yards and touchdowns.)

Sure, Doran Grant is a big loss in the defensive backfield - but sophomore, Vonn Bell led the team in interceptions and redshirt freshman, Eli Apple had the most passes broken-up.  Also, returning starter, Josh Perry, led the team in tackles - and Joey Bosa led in tackles for a loss and sacks. 

We're returning our top five rushers, six of our seven top receivers, four out of five 'Slobs' and of course, our top two passers.  Also returning is our fine punter, who regularly gave us an edge in field position -  and our place-kicker, who converted every extra point he tried last season.

So - the question is - has any defending national championship team ever had this much young, yet experienced returning talent?  I'm guessing no -

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 49 Comments