Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

How Good May the 2015 Defense Be?

0 HS
buckeye phi's picture
February 23, 2015 at 5:52pm
28 Comments

Anyone reading this probably remembers how awful our pass defense was in 2013.  In 2014 it improved dramatically - but that didn't happen all at once.  Well in to the season, we were still having significant problems here and there.

When Chris Ash was brought in last winter, he changed many of the coverage schemes and  our guys were clearly struggling with the adjustments.  You may recall, Virginia Tech was able to convert on third and long over and over.  Cincinnati's Gunner Kiel had a big day against us.  I could go on.

Later in the season, we were giving up some big plays against the run.  Indiana Minnesota and ttun immediately come to mind.  To be fair, that was partially due to the difference in run support from the secondary that's inherent with press-coverage, etc.

But we were able to gradually iron out the bugs - and by the post season, everything was really coming together - as exhibited by the shut-out of Wisconsin in the B1G Championship Game.

My question is - now that our guys have had a full year in Ash's system - and there will naturally be less of an adjustment period - how much better may our defense be next season?

While Kwon got a great deal of playing time at the key position of middle linebacker, filling the holes left by Doran Grant and Michael Bennett may be a taller order.  But with, realistically, eight returning starters, the transition shouldn't be too difficult.

According to NCAA statistics, we finished the season ranked 19th nationally in total defense - giving up 342 yards per game.  Our passing defense had improved to 28th nationally (from 110th in 2013) - yielding 201ypg.  And our rushing defense was still decent, ranking 34th and giving up 141ypg.

Based on the level at which our guys were playing by the post-season - against top competition - we could be in the thick of it for the top over-all defense next season.  I think a top ten finish, at least, is more than likely.

And with our offense, that's scary -

Any thoughts? -

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 28 Comments