Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Looking back to the future of the 2014 Buckeyes.

0 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
January 28, 2015 at 3:01pm
4 Comments

So, I was watching the Film Room version of the Natty yesterday, and it occurred to me what an unusual coaching carousel we had this year in college football, and it all centered around the B1G. It reminded me of the year Bruce Weber took Bill Self's old team to play the team whose coach Bill Self left Illinois to replace at Kansas.  It was just an odd triad.

Nebraska had enough of Bo Pelini, and sent him packing, and that lured Mike Riley away from Oregon State, who in turn lured Gary Andersen away from Wisconsin if 59-0 didn't have him running at full speed, who in turn lured Paul Chryst away from Pittsburgh, who turned where else for their coach? The B1G, when they hired Pat Narduzzi away from Michigan State.  That's a hell of a cycle circle.

So, I was looking to see if there were any posts about this coaching carousel when I ran across a Roundtable from January 3, 2014 and it had this gem at the bottom:

Who will be the Buckeye no one knows about yet that we'll all be talking about at this time next year?

Joe: Considering the almost encyclopedic knowledge that OSU fans typically have about the players in the program, it's hard to believe someone can come out of nowhere and surprise us. That being said, I think we might be talking a lot more about Trey Johnson this time next year than we are now. With Shazier likely leaving for the NFL and considering Meyer's approach to all of the jobs being open even if some starters return, I think Johnson has a real chance to grab a starting spot and make a big splash next year. 

DJ: Michael Thomas. Obviously he's a guy who's won some Spring Game MVPs in the past (and not much else) and took a redshirt this year, but damn I hope he breaks out next year. (I've said this since he arrived at Ohio State and will say it until he's arrived on the national stage.)

Jeremy: I think the Buckeye most likely to burst onto the scene is Ezekiel Elliott, who is at least unknown on a national level. Elliott is the most complete running back on the Ohio State roster and he’ll become a major contributor in the offense in 2014, especially if Miller does decide to go pro after the Orange Bowl. Elliott can run, he can catch, he can knock you out on special teams and he’s got the size/speed/quickness combination that is ideal in a Ohio State’s offense. 

And, this friends, is why I love 11W.  The staff here knows there stuff, and they back it up. And, so doe's Michael Thomas and Ezekiel Elliott and...you get the picture. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 4 Comments