Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The departing seniors will leave a few holes to fill.

0 HS
buckeye phi's picture
January 22, 2015 at 3:03pm
52 Comments

This was a fine senior class - and not just for their contributions on the field.  The wonderful chemistry this team obviously had would have been unlikely without great leadership from the senior class.

But their careers as Buckeyes are now finished.  Some of their replacements on the field are pretty much foregone conclusions.  Although, with the talent on this team, you never know.  For example, who saw Darron Lee coming before 2014?

However, there are some obvious guys who seem more than ready to step up.  Nick Vannett may have logged more playing time than Jeff Heuerman, anyway.  He really shouldn't be considered to be a ''new starter''.

Some people were calling for 'Kwon to replace Curtis Grant as it was.  He's the ovbvious new starter at middle linebacker. 

And while technically, Adolphus Washington will be sliding over to play Michael Bennett's old spot - that vacancy will most likely be filled by Tommy Shutt.  There may be a greater need for more depth at densive tackle than anywhere else on the team, however.

There is more uncertainty at some of the other newly vacated positions, though.  From everything I've read, there's no clear heir-apparent for Doran Grant's old spot at corner.

Both Steve Miller and Rashad Frazier are leaving the defensive end rotation.  No underclassmen were exactly blowing anyone's socks off at that spot - although there is some promise there.

Back on offense - Darrly Baldwin had a fine senior campaign at right tackle.  And while on paper it appears there's an embarrassment of riches in potential replacements, as most people reading this know, fitting a new guy into that mix is not always quite so simple.

Much like Nick Vannett, Micheal Thomas could hardly be considered a ''new'' starter, but there could be some pleasant surprises in the wide receiver rotation.

I'd enjoy seeing how other readers think the 2015 line-up will look.

Here are my two deep projections for the new openings:

Defensive end:     Jalyn Holmes - Tyquan Lewis - After a year with the strength and conditioning coaches, Jaylyn should be ready to start. Incoming freshman, Jashon Cornell, may end-up seeing the field by the end of the season, though.  I believe he's already enrolled.

Cornerback (field):     Damon Webb - Gareon Conley (Armani Reeves may stay at nickel).  Damon was a five-star recruit and he got a little bit of experience as a freshman

Right tackle:     Chase Farris - Jamarco Jones - This seems obvious - but don't be too surprised if these two end up switching places during the season.  There's lots of promising talent coming along for the o-line.

Wide receiver:     Michael Thomas - Johnny Dixon - Jeff Greene

Wide receiver:     Cory Smith - Terry McLaurin - James Clark

The coaches have said they'd ideally like a six-man rotation for the two wide receiver positions. 

I would have listed Paris Campbell here - because they simply must find a way to get him on the field.  Some think he has the potential to be the most explosive player on the team!  I've read he may be added to the mix at H-back, though.  That would also make sense if they move Noah Brown to tight end - where we have some issues with depth.

Speaking of depth - as mentioned, defensive tackle is a major concern in that regard.  Anybody who's followed this team knows that one of it's major strengths has been it's defensive line.  To keep everyone at their best, a strong rotation is essential. 

Losing a player of Michael Bennett's caliber always hurts - but I'm not sure we really have the depth to absorb the loss without taking a big step backward - this could be particularly painful.  If we don't add a blue-chip d-tackle recruit to the 2015 class, I wouldn't be too surprised to see one of our very good looking o-line back-ups switching to defense.

Anyway - those are my thoughts.  How 'bout yours?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 52 Comments