Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Playoff Preparation Strategy

0 HS
BGSUBucksFan's picture
January 14, 2015 at 12:01pm
14 Comments

Wanted to hear your guys' thoughts on this.  After the 4 teams were announced, Saban stated that Alabama was approaching it by focusing on all 4 teams rather than just their one known opponent, Ohio State.  And, correct me if I'm wrong, but Urban seemed to be all in on Alabama and not worrying about the other 2 teams until we got past the first game.  Of course we'll never truly know what went on behind the scenes for either squad, but it's intriguing to discuss and wonder if either would take a different approach next time.

I truly believe we just witnessed the first (playoff) year of what will be known as the Meyer/Saban war that will most likely get dated back to their SEC days when it's all said and done.  That's a different topic, but it's one I think both Meyer and Saban realize and it will be interesting to see strategy of each going forward.

This year, with all the unknowns, I really do believe Meyer went all in on the Bama game first and foremost, and didn't look ahead.  In the future I think that could change depending on his confidence level with the team.  You could tell he was shocked at the Oregon-FSU final score, so perhaps him being caught a little off guard with that might make him think about the strategy more in the future, but obviously it worked out just fine this year.  What do you think?

And if Saban really did place focus on all 4 teams, I feel like he, too, may change his strategy in the future.  Perhaps his confidence level was high enough to do that this year, but now he has been given the reality check that the Bucks are real and here to stay and that perhaps the almighty SEC isn't really the premier measuring stick.  Never underestimate Urban!

Edit:  I may have been reading too far into Saban's responses during interviews, but I do remember him saying they had "guys" preparing for all 4 teams during one of those random ESPN playoff interviews.  This interview seems to suggest more of what you would expect (focus on the game at hand keeping in mind another game may be coming).  But even here, Saban almost makes it sound like the second game is a given.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 14 Comments