Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Shoutout to Tressel and Fickell's recruiting

0 HS
Stellar's picture
January 4, 2015 at 7:19am
57 Comments

I want to start this off by saying that Urban Meyer has done an absolutely phenomenal job at Ohio State. This year in particular is one of the best coaching jobs I've ever seen. However, I cringe a little when I hear about how Meyer has brought SEC football to the Big Ten or how he finally built Ohio State into a program than can compete with the best teams around the country - its as if Meyer built this team out of thin air. The fact is that the foundation for excellent football was there before Meyer ever arrived.

Despite Meyer being here for 3 years the fingerprints of the Jim Tressel era are still all over this team. Looking at the Sugar Bowl you saw a bunch of key players that Meyer inherited from the previous regime: Cardale Jones, Devin Smith, Evan Spencer, Nick Vannett, Jeff Heuerman, Jacoby Boren, Pat Elflin, Daryl Baldwin, Michael Bennett, Steve Miller, Curtis Grant, Josh Perry, Tyvis Powell, and Doran Grant are all players that were either recruited by Tressel or in the interim year when Fickel was coach. There have also been several key guys like Braxton, Carlos, Roby, Shazier, and the O Linemen that Meyers success has relied heavily upon in his time here.

Let us celebrate all the great things Meyer has done and will do at Ohio State, let us also remember the strong foundation built by those that came before him.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 57 Comments