Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

A Serious Problem

0 HS
Gofor2's picture
January 3, 2015 at 4:29am
17 Comments

I just re-watched the magic that was the Sugar Bowl. I found it much more pleasent to watch when you already know that outcome. Lol. But you also get much more time to sit back and examine everything we did well and not so well. Guys I do not want to overblow this, and don't think I am, but why can't we seem to " Manage" the game??   Thru the year we had more Delay of Games, and false starts do to long snap times than I have ever seen during any season. I would have hoped we would have this resolved by now, our 3rd year in this system. But what I saw in the Sugar Bowl really bugs me. First, late in the 4th, at a critical time in the game, when we just got out of being pinned at the 1 yard line we punted and then stopped Bama's drive so they punted and we didn't have a damn return man back.! Which caused us to have the ball at the 3 instead of the 15 where the ball first landed.

Then with 3+ minutes left and leading by a TD we have the ball at mid-field and just got a first down, ( this is when Langdon gets hurt)  then we run a play and snap it with 15 seconds still on the clock, 15 seconds we could have eaten ( keep in kind the plays Bama ran when they had 15 seconds left at the end of the game) we repeated this on the very next play. This was over 30 seconds at the 3 min. Mark we could have eaten?? Then the whole clock management crap that happen with our last possesion. By all accounts Bama should have gotten the ball back at their 20 with about 35 seconds left best case. Instead, we gave them a chance to tie the game they should have never gotten, over 1.5 minutes left.

Now with all that said I realize it worked out and we won. But these mistake could have cost a team that busted their ass the whole game. We expect the players to be smart out there, And these issues are all on the Coaches, and that is troubling because stuff of this nature has been happening all year. If there is one team in all of football that managing the clock correctly could have a big impact on the outcome of a game, it is Oregon. Let's get our shit together. It's inexcusable. IF Bama would have tied the game and then won in overtime, these issues would be all we would be talking about today. Thank god it's not.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 17 Comments