Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Is Harbaugh really a home run?

0 HS
BuckeyeAsylum's picture
December 28, 2014 at 3:53am
36 Comments

So this whole Harbaugh to ttun thing made me think... Is he really THAT good? Please excuse the laid back approach to this, its 3:30AM and I just broke a fever and can't sleep.

Recruit Class Rankings for Stanford(Rivals):
54 in 2006
51 in 2007 (Harbaugh era)
50 in 2008
20 in 2009
26 in 2010
22 in 2011
5 in 2012 (Harbaugh era Ends)
64 in 2013

So recruiting wise he came in, held the standard, then after a bit of success he suddenly spiked, after he left recruiting went a bit below the previous benchmark.

Now 2007/2008 Stanford basically sucked with 4-8 and 5-7. Then Andrew Luck takes over in 2009 and they suddenly are a good team. It also helped to have a 51st picked RB (Toby Gerhart) lining up with you as a freshman. Then from there Andrew Luck became what he became, and an overall first round pick. Now I don't know how much Jim gets credit for his development, but I suspect he was pretty damn good coming in. Basically a year before he's losing this amazing QB(And the year most thought he'd turn pro instead of going back another year) Harbaugh splits. He left a pretty good team that was contending for a few years, but is beginning to fade into irrelevance again. Outside of this and a VERY brief stop at USD, the sample size for how good Jim is at the college coach position is still pretty small.

Urban however has basically had every team going Year 1 or 2... BG 8-3 and 9-3, the team was 2-9 the year before he arrived. Utah 10-2 and 12-0. Florida, well I think we all know that story, his worst season was 8-5 when he was medically in the crapper. (Reminder, this was done w/ Tebow, not a Luck type caliber QB.)

He is clearly a good hire, and ttun would need him, but I currently do not feel like I am super impressed. I want to see what he can do walking into a team that needs recruiting, development, and success on a big level and they need it pretty damn fast!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 36 Comments