Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

A Cardale story

0 HS
DukeofWeimar's picture
December 26, 2014 at 10:59am
18 Comments

Four years ago this week, I met Cardale Jones. Cardale was invited to play in the O-D (offense-defense HS All American game in Myrtle Beach, SC. As far as HS AA games..this is/was akin to being invited to the Shreveport Independence Bowl or Little Ceasars/ Quick Lane (whatever they are calling it this year) Bowl in Detroit. 

This was the 3rd years or so this game was held in Myrle and I made it a tradition to go to the morning practices and watch the OSU recruits. Along with Cardale was Chase Farris, Jeremy Cash and another whose name escapes me. I was very impressed with Cash..thought he would be an instant contributor. Cardale?..not so much. The other QB on Cardale's team was David Ash (Texas) who played quite a bit for them befoe concussions ended his career. Ash was clearly better in every phase of the game. It wasn't even close. Cardale couldn't throw a simple swing pass to save his life.

This game was so low on the AA game totem pole that each team only carried one kicker..who did both the kicking and punting. The kicker (a ND recruit) was punting by himself..kicking 4 fb's from the sideline of the 50 to the opposite corner of the EZ in order to stay out of the way of the practice..then he'd walk go get the balls and kick again. I watched him do this for awhile then I went down to the field (I was one of maybe a dozen people there watching) and offered to shag the punts for him and he graciously agreed. So I'm on the field shagging punts (with my OSU ball cap on) and throwing them back to him. I'm a former small college QB and can still spin a good ball, albeit only about 35 yards or so.

Ther QB's started throwing some deeper balls near where I was shagging punts. Cardale's deep balls were even bad. He couldn't get the nose to turn over. The coach noticed me and my OSU hat throwing and he yells at Cardale.."hey Cardale..even that old man throws a better deep ball...get that nose over"

Anyways..I got a chance to just say hello to him and chatted about Ohio HS football..nice kid ,big grin. I had little hope that he would ever amount to a college QB, especially at Ohio State. Cardale didn't start that game..Ash did..but in true Cardale fashion..he came in played lights out and won the MVP of the game. 

I was left with one thought..damn..he don't look all that  good...but he's a hell of a gamer when it's live between the lines.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 18 Comments