Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Between the lines of Tom Herman's departure.

0 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
December 16, 2014 at 1:27pm
54 Comments

I'm happy for Tom Herman, and anyone who seizes an opportunity to fulfill one of their dreams in life. So, good for him; I thank him for his work in Columbus and wish him nothing but the very best.
But, here's the but...
But, I find it interesting that the reported value of the contract is 5 years and $6.75M, which breaks down to $1.35M/year. This would have essentially been a lateral move, financially, for the top 5 paid assistant coaches in CFB, excluding Muschamp's new deal, according to this: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant
Now, I don't think Houston boosters are going all Alabama and throwing in a house, but anyone can see that Herman more than doubled his pay, and that is what concerns me. I think Herman proved he was an elite assistant coach, albeit underpaid by industry standard. I also believe the SEC is starting an arms race, and we're not keeping up. B1G ADs (I'm talking to you Gene) need to get on board, get with the times, pay attention, or whatever euphemism we choose that means PAY MARKET VALUE FOR COACHES. In college football, like life, typically you get what you pay for.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 54 Comments