Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

This is Why We Can Beat Alabama

0 HS
Earthoid.'s picture
December 7, 2014 at 8:07pm
28 Comments

Couple weeks ago, 'Bama played Auburn in the Iron Bowl and let them put 44 up on them.  They won that game because Amari Cooper took over and Auburn failed to convert redzone opportunities.  Watching this is why I'm fairly confident that we can and will beat Alabama:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=400548323

Here's the bottom line. Bama's secondary is a real liability - it is one of the weakest units of any unit, of any of the top 4 teams.

Facts to support this...

• Auburn is not a passing team yet Marshall put 456 passing yards up on them with virtually a single target (Coates)
  • Coates coming into that game has something like 2 total TD receptions the entire year - he had 3 against Bama
  • Auburn coming in averaged 192 passing yds / game - as mentioned against Bama - 456
  • Auburn coming into that game had a total 18 passing TD's all year - against Bama - 3

Why did they have such success?

• Bama's secondary routinely got burnt by a fast receiver on the home run ball
  • Marshall had time to throw the home run ball

See where this is going yet?

• We come in averaging 250 passing yds / game
  • We come in with a total of 49 passing TD's this season
  • We have a deep threat that is arguably the best in the nation (D Smith) - and statistically way above Coates league
  • Not only do we have deep threats, but we have underneath threats that Auburn doesn't - Thomas, Spencer, C Smith and Marshall
  • We have a QB that's proven that when given time, he can deliver the ball on a dime

So the question really comes down to two things:

• Can we contain Cooper?
  • Can our o-line give Cardale time to throw?

And I think the answers to those are a pretty confident yes and yes.  Doran Grant has proven that he's a shutdown corner.  He may not have faced an Amari Cooper yet, but I'm way more confident in our ability to contain Cooper than Auburn's.  Their secondary was atrocious and got beat several times on mental errors and simple double moves.  Grant with Bell over the top can contain him.

Our O-line, I would argue is forming into one of the top units in the nation.  I at least have confidence that they are as good or better than Auburn's o-line.  I think we can all agree on that.  

I'll just say that I have a very good feeling about this game - similar to MSU.  Of course, I'm not saying Bama = MSU.  Just saying my intuition has been pretty good.  This Bama team is def vulnerable and we have the tools to exploit - specifically deep balls and speed on the edge.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 28 Comments