Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

State of the defense wrapping up year 3 and into year 4.

0 HS
Brutus_Bully's picture
November 24, 2014 at 10:25pm
15 Comments

OSU has not had very good defense since Urban has been here. the first year we were thin at linebacker and bad in coverage. Last year the run defense was decent but the secondary was atrocious. This year the secondary has improved but the run defense has gone to the tank. I watched the Iowa/Wisky rerun and one thing that became apparent after 1 quarter. I don't think Wisky has a player on defense who would start for OSU but they play much better, they are fundamentally more sound, more disciplined and from the secondary they are not taking crazy angles when going for tackles and missing tackles. This defense returned 3 starters I believe. So this begs the question, Why does Wisconsin, and let's add Michigan State, Penn State and Minnesota have better defensive coordinators than OSU?

Urban obviously wiffed on Fickel/Withers but what now? What is the problem, Fickel, Ash, the fickle/Ash combo? Why is Meyer using co-coordinators? Do we need to can Fickel or do Fickel/Ash just need another year? Should Meyer scrap them both and just hire a good defensive coordinator, or can Fickel and keep Ash as secondary coach. Meyer can afford to hire who he wants and pay whatever is necessary.

One thing I do know going forward from now and into next year, the defense is the difference between this being a very good team and a great team. I hope we get this figured out. I'm interested in other opinions.Go Bucks!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 15 Comments