Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

When Did You Fall in Love With Ohio State Football?

0 HS
DaiTheFlu's picture
November 21, 2014 at 5:56pm
148 Comments

Amidst all the talk about playoffs, JT Barrett, Noah Spence, etc, I've been thinking a lot about Buckeye teams of years gone by, which led me back to the moment it all began for me, the day that I discovered the Buckeyes and the day that this 20 year love affair began.

I was 10 years old and lived in Columbus, but never followed football, as I played basketball and was obsessed with the NBA. One day, I was at a random family member's house when I noticed a football game on TV. Literally the moment I sat down, a fellow by the name of Bobby Hoying connected with this extremely fast guy wearing #7, who would go on to catch 2 more TD passes that day in a rout of Purdue. I was hooked.

My grandpa, and most of my extended family, went to Ohio State and followed the Buckeyes passionately, so it felt so natural to me, like riding a bike or kissing a girl. That same year, Ohio State beat Michigan, which had the city elated - for reasons I would later come to understand. Another thing I would soon develop was a white hot hatred for the SEC, as Gene Stalling's Alabama team beat Ohio State in the Citrus bowl that year.

Nevertheless, my love had started to blossom and the 1995 season came soon enough, the highlight of which being a beatdown of a highly ranked Notre Dame team in Columbus. I remember the city buzzing with excitement and anticipation, more so than at any point prior in my young memory. Obviously that year ended with another defeat to the dreaded Wolverines and a loss to an SEC team in a consolation bowl game, but it didnt matter, at least in the long run. From that point forward, even though we lived in several other states throughout my childhood, Ohio State became - and has remained to this day - my passion. I still remember the 1997 Rose Bowl, 2002 Michigan game, 2002 NC Game, 2006 Michigan game and 2009 Rose Bowl games as though they were yesterday. The best thing, however, remains that with our tradition of excellence, outstanding coach, facilities and fans, we're poised to retain our spot atop the college football perch for decades to come. Hopefully, during that time, there will be many more 10 years Olds who stumble across a random football game on TV and discover the same thing that I did 20 years ago.

Long post, I know, but when did YOU fall in love with Buckeye football, 11W'ers?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 148 Comments