Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Counter Argument In Support of 4 Team Playoff

0 HS
elitesmithie's picture
November 17, 2014 at 3:24pm
24 Comments

First of all let me say I am glad we have our current 4 team playoff vs years past. I think we can all agree that this allows 10-15 teams so far to feel some legit shot at a playoff instead of 4-5 teams like years past.

Now when we discuss going to an 8 team playoff with all 5 major conferences getting a spot; the concern is brought up about a team with 4-5 losses getting in and dilluting the pool. Now I can understand that argument however I feel if you seed the teams independent of the conference teams being gaurenteed the top 5 spots it would be a good thing. I think one of the concerns of a playoff of any kind is the hot team winning vs the best overall. We see this often in the Basketball tournament or even the NFL. I think this gives an added boost to finishing number one in the regular season. You don't get a bye but you may face a 9-4 Georgia Tech team instead of an 11-1 Baylor team for example. I think this way it still gives a reason to finish in the top spot. This also allows all conferences to be included and will free up non conference scheduling. Take Ohio State for example. If you knew you had a spot regardless if you win the conference you would be more willing to face 2 power teams instead of 1 out of conference. 2 Losses wouldn't remove you from contention. It would also place a higher emphasis on conference games as well as encourage more Power Conference OOC games. It would be easier to "rank" conferences with more games between the two.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 24 Comments