Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The "WHO HAS THE WORST LOSS" enigma ...

0 HS
cjzarecki's picture
November 16, 2014 at 4:06pm
17 Comments

Football has been played for many moons and for the most part measured "nominally" (a yes or no scenario), by wins and losses (either you win or you lose), however, with the current evolving science that is the CFB rankings.. wins and losses are critiqued on more of a "ratio" scale which factors in magnitude and meaningfulness of an event. The question I pose on the decision making process of "who has the worst loss", is very fair, common sense, and can be measured statistically: "What has changed since the loss to validate it as less of a current weakness when compiling a one loss teams resume." 

My point being: When comparing a one loss team... A loss should be weighed based on "How does it currently represent a weakness in the teams resume?" .. Ex. Mississippi State's close loss to Alabama... not a whole lot of a weakness, Alabama is an All American team and most teams will not win in Tuscaloosa.. therefore, IMO the loss shouldn't be weighed heavily against them. In conclusion, the Virginia Tech loss to Ohio State did represent a solid weakness in the resume of the team 7 weeks ago, however.. are those reasons, weaknesses valid any longer? Are these reasons and weaknesses still valid 60 days later with the current team? Which loss is more relevant? How relevant is a 14 point Baylor loss to WVU 3 weeks ago? Currently speaking.. is it as relevant as a Ohio State loss to VaTech 8 weeks ago? Is a TCU loss to Baylor a more relevant loss/weakness in their resume after giving up 30 points to Kansas this weekend? Is it more relevant than Ohio State's loss to VT? If so, it must carry statistical value! But if that is not represented.. does personal opinion or bias get in the way? 

I'll let you come to your own conclusions.

Go Bucks.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 17 Comments