Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Has Urban clinched Big Ten Coach of the Year?

0 HS
Buckeye Chuck's picture
November 15, 2014 at 5:10pm
13 Comments

Yes, I know all about the traditional bias against the Buckeyes in this department. But the basis for never giving the award to one of our coaches is that we're never "better than we were supposed to be." (I don't agree, as we've had quite a few seasons that fit this description, most obviously 2002, but that's the reasoning.)

Except:

1. There really aren't any other strong contenders. Nebraska has arguably overachieved a bit, but they lost to Sparty and we didn't. Besides, Bo Pelini as Coach of the Year? Jerry Kill would have been the favorite had Minnesota won today (or even if today had been their first conference loss), but they seem likely to finish 7-5 -- about where they were last year. 

2. This season, we ARE "better than we were supposed to be." We've overcome the worst imaginable injury to go undefeated in the conference. The job the staff has done coaching up J. T. Barrett can't be overstated. And after the Miller injury, it was clear we were no longer the favorites to win the B1G; Michigan State was. Is there a bigger surprise team than the Buckeyes, all things considered? I think not.

Thoughts?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 13 Comments