Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Objectively Looking at College Football Rankings

0 HS
DefenceWinsChampionships's picture
November 3, 2014 at 6:40pm
21 Comments

I was thinking about the new rankings that will come out tomorrow, and I know that there was a lot of gnashing of teeth when the last rankings came out, so I decided to take an objective look at each teams resume and see just how accurate/biased this new system seems to be. I know that there are a lot of different factors that are supposed to be considered when ranking teams, but I think if you look at each teams top couple wins, and their losses, you get a pretty good snapshot of where everyone should be ranked. Here's a rundown of how I think and unbiased ranking should unfold: 

1) Miss St - Best wins: #3 Aub, #14LSU;  No losses

2) FSU - Best wins: #11 ND, #21 Clem;  No losses

3) Aub - Best wins: #6 KSU, #14 LSU, #16 Ole Miss;  Losses; #1 Miss St

4) Org - Best wins: #7 MSU, #15 UCLA; Losses: #17 Zona

5) TCU - Best wins: #19 Okla, WVU; Losses: #9 Baylor

6) KSU - Best wins: #19 Okla, OkSt; Losses: #3 Aub

7) MSU - Best wins: #12 Neb, Mich; Losses: #4 Org

8) ASU - Best wins: #18 Utah, #25 USC; Losses: #15 UCLA

9) Baylor - Best Wins: #5 TCU, Tex; Losses: WVU

10) Bama - Best Wins: WVU, TexAM; Losses: #16 Ole Miss

11) ND - Best wins: Stan, Navy; Losses: #2 FSU

12) Neb - Best wins: Rutgers, Miami; Losses: #7 MSU

13) OSU - Best wins: Maryland, Cinci; Losses: VT

14) LSU - Best wins: #16 Ole Miss, #23 Wisc; Losses: #3 Aub, #1 Miss St

15) UCLA - Best wins: #9 ASU, #17 Zona; Losses: #4 Org, #18 Utah

16) Ole Miss - Best wins: #10 Bama, TexAM; Losses: #3 Aub, #14 LSU

17) Zona - Best wins: #4 Org, Cal; Losses: #15 UCLA, #25 USC

18) Utah - Best wins: #15 UCLA, #25 USC; Losses: #8 ASU, Wash St

19) Okla - Best wins: WVU, Tenn; Losses: #5 TCU, #6 KSU

20) Georgia - Best wins: #21 Clem, Mizzou; Losses: SC, Flo

21) Clem - Best wins: Lville, BC; Losses: #2 FSU, #20 Georgia

22) Duke - Best wins: GT, Pitt; Losses: Miami

23) Wisc - Best wins: Maryland, Rutgers; Losses: #14 LSU, NW

24) Marshall - Just because they have no losses

25) USC - Best wins: #17 Zona, Stan; Losses: #9 ASU, #18 Utah, BC

For the most part, teams tend to fall into three groups: Teams with 2+ good wins, teams with 1 good win, and teams with no good wins. These teams can then be sorted by other factors like # of losses, and whether or not it was a "good loss". When they are sorted like this I think you notice a couple of things: Bama is by far the most overrated team in football, as they have done absolutely nothing to deserve their high ranking. The big 10 teams are pretty much ranked right where they should be until they beat someone of consequence. There really aren't a whole lot of teams that should be whining, except maybe Utah, who I'm assuming will show up somewhere in the 20's. And finally, there doesn't seem to be a two loss team with a resume good enough to get back into the picture unless absolute chaos happens. LSU has the best resume and if we take care of sparty and the west champ, I don't think we have to worry about them. Anyway, I hope this helps to put things in perspective when we get ranked around 12/13 tomorrow. I just hope the committee isn't blind enough to put Bama in the top 4 or Ole Miss in the top 15... but I guess we'll see how broken the system really is.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 21 Comments