Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

I feel good about the MSU game

0 HS
immort9888's picture
November 2, 2014 at 8:56pm
28 Comments

Three things give me a good feeling.  First, this is the first time OSU has been an underdog (or close to the first time) with UFM as the head coach.  I like how UFM can use this to motivate the team.  

Second, this game feels exactly the opposite of last year's B1G Championship game.  All the talking heads are focused on how this game will propel MSU into the playoff picture.  Why shouldn't they?  MSU beat OSU last year in the B1G Champ game, MSU has a great offense lead by co-offensive coordinator Jim "Walrus" Bollman, the game is being played at Sparty stadium, and MSU had a week off to prepare for the Buckeyes.  All the pressure is on Sparty to win this game and Bollman WILL add some nice wrinkles to the power O play (i.e., running it to the left instead of the right).  

Third, I do not think MSU's defensive line is THAT good this year.  Yes, Shilique Calhoun is good.  Marcus Rush and the rest of the crew are definitely above average but I honestly think PSU has a better overall defensive line.  Case in point, look at MSU's sack numbers.  Calhoun has 6, but then the next two on the list are linebackers.  MSU relies on LBs to get pressure outside of Calhoun.  The MSU defensive line can be controlled (not dominated) by OSU's offensive line.  The same couldn't be said for PSU.  

MSU will have to blitz to get heavy pressure on JT.  I think OSU will be ready for those same blitzes (double A gap cross blitz and field side pressure blitzes) from last year's meeting.  Narduzzi isn't going to change what his defense does like VT did in September.  Not going to happen under Dantonio's watch.  

The key to the game will be if OSU can jump out to a quick lead.  If so, watch out!  I think we will finally will see the aggressive offensive play calling everyone has be waiting for from Herman and UFM.  

OSU 31 MSU 27     

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 28 Comments