Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

CFP teams' remaining schedule vs each other.

0 HS
Seth4Bucks's picture
October 28, 2014 at 10:35pm
13 Comments

I was curious as to exactly who had who left out of the teams ahead of OSU and looked into it. Figured I'd leave this here for anyone who might be curious about it. I'm not going to delve into the 2 loss teams at this time as I figure none of the current two loss teams will jump OSU IF they win out. And if OSU drops a game . . .  well they won't be going to the playoffs. All rankings are CFP rankings.

1. Miss State: @ #6 Bama & @ #4 Ole Miss. Plus potential CCG game.
  2. FSU: @ #25 UL. Plus potential CCG game.
  3. Auburn: @ #4 Ole Miss, @ #11 UGA, @ #6 Bama. Plus potential CCG game.
  4. Ole Miss: vs #3 Aub, vs #1 MSU. Plus potential CCG game.
  5. Oregon: @ #17 Utah. Plus potential CCG game.
  6. Alabama: @ #19 LSU, vs #1 MSU, vs #3 Aub. Plus potential CCG game.
  7. TCU: @ #20 WVU, vs #9 KSU.
  8. Mich State: vs #16 OSU. Plus potential CCG game.
  9. KSU: @ #7 TCU, @ #20 WVU, @ #13 Baylor.
  10. Notre Dame: @ #14 ASU, vs #25 UL.
  11. UGA: vs #3 Aub. Plus potential CCG game.
  12. Arizona: @ #17 Utah, vs #14 ASU. Plus potential CCG game.
  13. Baylor: @ #18 OU, vs #9 KSU.
  14. Arizona State: vs #17 Utah, vs #10 ND, @ #12 Zona. Plus potential CCG game.
  15. Nebraska: Potential CCG game.
  16. Ohio State: @ #8 MSU. Plus potential CCG game.
  17. Utah: @#14 ASU, vs #5 Oregon, vs #12 Zona. Plus potential CCG game.

A LOT of games are still left to be played out. OSU has the ability to move up the rankings as teams ahead of them knock each other off. Ohio State still has to take care of it's own business because another loss knocks them out of contention for one of the four spots. Games against MSU and UM (see last year) aren't gimmes by any stretch. UM 'should' be an easier game that OSU 'should' win. But many thought the same about last year's game. And @MSU will be TOUGH! O-line needs to be dialed in with it's pass protection and run blocking to give OSU a chance in that one. That still leaves @Minny, Indy, and Illinois to be taken care of. Should OSU win out, a game against a highly ranked and previously unplayed Nebraska would be the best outcome for OSU.

Even if things break OSU's way, they don't exactly control their own destiny. Right or wrong, national perception will be a big part of any playoff picture. I'm not just talking SEC perception either. The B1G, OSU included, hasn't exactly helped themselves out in this regard in recent years. And quite a few teams outside the SEC & FSU could solidify strong consideration to be included in the inaugural playoffs. Teams like KSU or Arizona State could roll up impressive wins on their way into the playoffs.

So OSU needs to 'just' win out, do it impressively, and hope for enough chaos above them in the rankings that pave the way for an OSU top four spot. Could it happen? YES! Will it happen? Well . . . OSU has a decent shot. But there aren't any assurances OSU will even win out. The coming weeks will give us all a better idea of what OSU's chances are.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 13 Comments