Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU vs. Penn State

0 HS
Large Father's picture
October 23, 2014 at 11:38pm
21 Comments

Tressels, Fickells and Urbans,

The development of the 2014 Ohio State Buckeyes is pretty amazing.

They are improving with every snap, not just every game.  

The last Ohio State team to improve this dramatically was the 2004 team.  That team just barely pulled out an early season win against Marshall before losing three in a row - including a 33-7 lopsided pasting from Iowa.  Then, suddenly the Shot-Ginn offense appeared centered around Teddy and Troy...and they closed the season by soundly beat a highly-ranked Michigan team and blew out Les Mile's Oklahoma State Cowboys in the Alamo Bowl (even without Troy and Justin Zwick playing on one leg).  By the end of that season, the 2004 Buckeyes could have played with anyone.

But, I think this turnaround even surpasses that.   

There have been many seasons when despite looking inept at times, Ohio State found a way to win, maintained lofty rankings high and somehow made their way into BCS bowl games.  The wins were not always pretty but they kept coming and usually the cards just fell right.  Many of these emails had lines that hinted to "I'm not sure how, but here we are...and just enjoy the ride."  

In my opinion, the last couple games have been different.  Something we haven't experienced for a long time.  Different in a way that we haven't seen since Urban arrived...and probably since 2006.

Keep in mind, that time span includes an undefeated 2012 season (Ohio State was ineligible for post season play) and a 2007 national championship game appearance.   

...and after Virginia Tech, who would have thought the change would occur this fast?

These last handful of quarters remind me of the run from 2002, 2003, late 2004, 2005 and 2006, when Ohio State was soundly beating the opponent on every snap in every phase of the game...especially suffocating on defense and only lacking the play-call desire to put the pedal to the metal on offense. 

This team is beginning to win every snap in every phase of the game...and is becoming explosive on offense. 

Ohio State could have easily scored 70 points on Rutgers if they wanted to...but, they spent the last two quarters breaking tendencies for the second half of the season and forcing throws into Evan Spencer to reward his dedication to the team.  (Which I thought was really cool...and his touchdown grab was spectacular!)

Also, the special teams coverage has been the best I've ever seen in college football.  At the rate Ohio State scores touchdowns, the kickoff coverage team sees the field a lot.  In the first half of the last two games, 20% of Ohio State's "defensive" plays have involved the kickoff coverage team. :)

So, now we head into Happy Valley for a night game against Penn State.  This is the first real road test for a very young, but rapidly developing team.  Keep in mind, this is still the 2nd least experienced offensive line in the country.  That stat will carry with them all year.  Also, JT has never played under this kind of pressure; the Penn State fans (all 107,000 of them) can be pretty nasty to visiting teams.  Ohio State was in a close game at night in Happy Valley two years ago before Shazier broke it open with an interception return touchdown to open the second half.  (Which Buckeye will have a pick 6 this year? :))   

Also, I didn't love all the injuries to the kick coverage team last weekend against Rutgers.  Ohio State lost Devan Bogard last weekend (poor guy has a season-ending injury for the third-straight year) and Cam Burrows may be dinged.  This is in addition to Ron Tanner already being out with injury.  It sounds as if Corey Smith will fill in for Devan, so hopefully he is ready to go.

The Ohio State players have been talking about the pursuit of a perfect game - I would love to see it!  At the rate they are progressing, they may have it in them.     

Touchdowns:  Zeke Elliot, Zeke Elliot, Dontre Wilson, Dontre, Dontre, Michael Thomas, Jeff Heuerman

OSU 52 PSU 49 

Go Bucks!  Beat Penn State!  Michael Bennett for Heisman! 

Portly Pa

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 21 Comments