Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

New Conference Alignments and Playoff Scenario

0 HS
GregB's picture
October 19, 2014 at 7:33pm
22 Comments

Here is my suggestion for how to realign CFB conferences and prepare for a true playoff with 8 teams.

We need to get to just four super conferences with 70 teams divided into 8 or 9 team divisions. Each division champ would be in the playoff.

I think the Big 12 can be dissolved and their teams reabsorbed into the SEC, BiG, Pac12 and ACC.  The new conferences could look something like this.

BiG East:

OSU  MSU  Mich PSU  IU Purdue Rutgers Maryland                                         

BiG West:

Nebraska  Texas  Wisc  Kansas  Minny  Illinois  NW  Iowa                                                                                                                                         

Pac 18 North:

Wash  WashSt  Oreg  OreSt Colorado  Utah  Stanford   Cal    BoiseSt

Pac 18 South:

USC   UCLA  Ariz  ArizST   Okla  OklaSt   Baylor   TCU   TexasTech                                                                                                                                                                                             

SEC West:

Bama  LSU   A&M  Ark  Miss  MissSt  IowaSt   Houston   SMU

SEC East:

Aub  UGA   Fla  Mizz  Tenn  SC  Vandy  Kent  GaTech

ACC North:                                               

BC  Cuse  Pitt     Va Tech   ND  UVA    Cinn    UConn  WVU

ACC South:

FSU  Miami  Clemson  UNC  Duke   Wake  NCSt  Louisville  UCF                                                                                                                  

The 8 division champs are in.  On the first Saturday of December each conference Championship game site picks a team form its conference to be the home team.  The opponents are chosen in a rotating fashion with each conference getting a chance to be first choice every four years.   So if your conference thinks you have a team that can go anywhere and win you might take your other conference champ to give a home game to when you can be the first to choose the opponent.

So this year say the SEC gets first pick. They might think Bama can go on the road so they protect UGA and select Minny from BiG West in order to try to get two in the "Quintessential Quad".  

Once the field is down to four a committee does the seeding and we proceed as we will this year

Bring it on fellow Buck fans!  Tell me what you think

I  like it cuz it has a degree of randomness to it and it eliminates the subjectivity of a committee picking all 8 teams.  If this year hasnt shown anything else, its shown that there is a lot of parity in CFB.  A BiG East team that will likely be bowl ineligible (my prediction) has already won at an SEC East team that will finish second in their division. On any given Saturday the difference is slim between all these teams, despite what the SEC homers say. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 22 Comments