Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU vs. Rutgers

0 HS
Large Father's picture
October 17, 2014 at 6:06am
17 Comments

Tressels, Fickells and Urbans,

Growth is fun. :)

Wow, the Ohio State team that played against Maryland a couple weeks ago looked nothing like the team that lost to Virginia Tech just 28 days earlier.
The Ohio State offense is coming together very quickly.  I don't know if I've ever seen an Ohio State team improve this rapidly.

This rapid change is not completely unexpected.  There were a couple keys issues early in the year.

Jeff Heuerman had off-season surgery and just really started playing quite a bit against Maryland.  Heuerman was noticeably absent.  Not only for his blocking ability and talent to stretch a defense...he is also a key team leader; he's one of two offensive captains - neither of which were on the field for the beginning of the season.

Also injury slowed the start of another key component.  Ezekiel Elliot broke his wrist late in fall camp.  He was played sparingly early, ran tentatively and finally started picking up some steam against UC and especially Maryland.  He's finally really punishing tacklers during the Maryland game.  The OSU offense is exponentially better when a run threat exists.

This is a bit amazing.  The offensive line is the 2nd least experienced offensive line in Division I football; they are 127th out of 128 teams.  Offensive line experience is the second most important element in college football.  The only team with a less experienced offensive line is Syracuse - who have only beat Villanova and Central Michigan this season.  The OSU offensive line inexperience really showed early this year - especially against Virginia Tech.  The front five were really confused - especially by a bear defensive scheme dedicated to stopping the run.  Having Heuerman out really made the problem even worse.

Oddly, those key personal issues and the offensive line inexperience were possibly more detrimental than the loss of another player late in fall camp: Braxton.  Who would have thought that JT would play this well at the most important position on the field?  His growth is not just game-to-game; it's throw-by-throw.  

The defense is quickly figuring it out.  Oddly, the key component (in my opinion) has been replacing yet another team captain following the Virginia Tech debacle and getting another #5 on the field: Raekwon.  He is just a football player - always around the ball, always in on the tackle, times his pre-snap movement well, everything.  And, this is as a true freshman.  It reminds me of Katzenmoyer his freshman year, but the Big Kat had a better supporting cast overall.

Another unit that finally looked solid last week is the defensive secondary.  The same guys I've been cursing for a couple years now, I found myself at times saying "great play, Eli Apple or Von Bell."  I don't know if they needed to adjust to a new defensive scheme; they seemed to be in much better position against Maryland.

They are also figuring it out without Noah Spence.  And, most of that solution is Joey Bosa. :)

I hope this progression continues; if so, this will be a lot of fun to watch. 

Touchdowns:  Zeke Elliot, Zeke Elliot, Dontre Wilson, Dontre, Dontre, Michael Thomas, Jeff Heuerman

OSU 52 Rutgers 49 

Go Bucks!  Beat Rutgers!  Michael Bennett for Heisman! 

Vast Vater

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 17 Comments