Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

We just need to keep winning. Convincingly.

0 HS
Urbz4President's picture
October 14, 2014 at 1:57am
10 Comments

That is all we need to do to get into the Playoff. I've read a lot of arguments and articles both on this site and others regarding our weak schedule. Sure, there are undefeated teams ahead of us that need to lose, but at this point, its not IF we win (which goes without saying, we need to), but its HOW we win. The rest of our schedule isn't terribly impressive, with the exception of MSU, but lets take a look at the reigning National Champion, Florida State, and their schedule last year.

@Pitt 41-13 W

-BYE-

VS Nevada 62-7 W

VS Bethune-Cookman 54-6 W

@ Boston College 48-34 W

VS Maryland 63-0 W

-BYE-

@ Clemson 51-14 W

VS NC State 49-17 W

VS Miami 41-14 W

@ Wake Forest 59-3 W

VS Syracuse 59-3 W

VS Idaho 80-14 W

@ Florida 37-7 W

ACC Championship Game VS Duke 45-7 W

National Championship Game VS Auburn 34-31

Alright, so in the regular season with the exception of Clemson and debatably, Florida (finished 4-8 in the regular season but SEC! SEC!), they played essentially no one. Call it lack of culture or education but other than this list, I never knew the powerhouse of Bethune-Cookman even existed. Hell, they played Duke (Football here, folks, not roundball) in their conference championship game. 

Who remembers the discussions about their schedule last year? It was clear their schedule was weak, but what was impressive was how badly they beat everyone they played. 

This is the key to our potential success. We need to wipe the floor with everyone from this point forward if we would like to be playoff contenders. I would say that includes holding Michigan State to 21 points or less and us hanging 40+ points on their defense. 

Granted, Florida State didn't lose a single game they played, it wasn't even close. But I truly think we have a shot if we start putting up some #GODLVL numbers and a big signature win in East Lansing and others lose. I would like to think that the remainder of our schedule is stronger than most of Florida State's last year (anyone care to find and compare Sagarin SOS Ratings between 2014 OSU and 2013 FSU?)

Let us not forget that College Football is a business and a highly ranked Ohio State team turns on a hell of a lot of TV sets. Considerably more than, say, Baylor. 

Truth is, no one really knows exactly how this selection committee will view things, but I still contend that it will be impossible to deny a roaring Ohio State team that is playing hungry and with something to prove. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 10 Comments