Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Remaining Quality Opponents

0 HS
DaiTheFlu's picture
October 5, 2014 at 8:05pm
17 Comments

Let me start by saying that I'm aware of how much football is left to play, as well as the fact that a lot of folks in front of us have to lose, some more than once. However, I do think there is going to be some chaos in the 2nd half of the season, and, if our boys can keep playing the way they have the last 3 weeks, they just might find themselves in position for a playoff berth.

My question is this: how many opportunities against quality opponents do we have to impress the playoff committee the rest of the way? Obviously MSU looks to be the one truly elite team, and should be easily a top 10 foe, should they keep winning. Presumably, if we win out, our opponent in the B1G Championship Game will be ranked, preferably a Nebraska team that wins out the rest of the way. Aside from those, I only see one or two other potential ranked teams.

Shockingly, Minnesota might be the best shot, provided they avoid the upset bug this week against Northwestern. They then appear to have 2 more easily winnable games before they play Iowa, which could really launch them into legitimacy.

Although Penn State almost certainly won't be ranked when we play them, they do have 4 cupcakes after us, which could keep them in top 25 consideration throughout the rest of the year, at least until Michigan State.

Unfortunately, I don't see much else happening by way of impressive competition, unless Rutgers shocks the world and beats Wisconsin and Nabraska, which then diminishes potentially the quality of opponent in th we B10 Championship Game.

What say you, 11W? I legitimately think Minny might be ranked by the time we come to their town, and Penn State has a good chance to be ranked by the season's end. What do you think? Can we silence the Big Ten doubters by beating a couple of quality teams? If it plays out the way I think it will, we could have quality wins against MSU, Minnesota (lol), Rutgers (eh), Penn State and maybe Nebraska or Iowa in the championship game. Will that be enough to impress all of the SEC groupies, should we be in the conversation?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 17 Comments