Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Reasons for why Les Miles might consider Michigan job

0 HS
Buckeyejohn's picture
October 2, 2014 at 10:43am
65 Comments

This is all speculation, but I wanted to see what you guys think about the possibility of Les Miles leaving LSU for Michigan. Personally, I have 3 reasons why I think Les Miles could make the move. I also have a long list of reasons why he definitely will not take the job, but that isn't as much fun to discuss on a boring Thur morning. 

Why he might take the job: 

1. Miles has more ties to Michigan than any other big name coach - Miles played offensive line at Michigan (1974-1975), spent two years under Bo as a graduate assistant(1980-1981), and coached offensive line at Michigan from 1987-1994. The Mad Hatter is a "Michigan Man" with a proven track record.
  2. LSU has more competition than ever in a loaded SEC West - A few years ago LSU only really had to worry about competing with Alabama for the SEC West. Now Miles has to compete with five other top 15 SEC West teams for playoff position and recruits. Miles may not enjoy playing second fiddle this year to Alabama, Texas A&M, Auburn, and even Ole Miss. He may find it much more desirable to compete for a playoff spot in a conference with some very good teams (OSU, MSU, Wisc, Neb) but lots of relatively average to below average teams (Pur, ill, NW, IA, MN, IN, MD). 
  3. Les Miles can become an absolute legend at Michigan - The Michigan brand has sunk to an all time low with the team sucking, fans protesting, and complete dysfunction at the top of the food chain with AD Dave Brandon. It is a complete dumpster fire and even with the one good Hoke year, Michigan has still been pretty awful for about 7 years in a row.....And Les doesn't have to do a ton immediately at Michigan. After the bar has been set so low by Hoke, Miles just needs to string together a couple of 9-3 or 8-4 seasons while he stocks up the talent level with his excellent recruiting abilities. If Miles returns Michigan to glory the Michigan fan base will build a golden throne and worship him like he is a demigod. 

I realize Les Miles has turned down Michigan twice in recent years, but now might be one of his last chances. Miles is 60 years old, and eventually Michigan is going to hit on a coach who will stick around for a long time (Michigan only had 3 head coaches from 1969-2007). If Miles really is a "Michigan Man" now may be the time to finally pull the trigger...........What do you guys think? Is Miles a really possibility or a pipe dream? Does Michigan go all out for a big name like Miles or go for another under the radar type like Brady Hoke?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 65 Comments