Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU vs. Kent State

0 HS
Large Father's picture
September 11, 2014 at 8:54pm
3 Comments

Tressels, Fickells and Urbans,

This is the game I had circled.  

I've been looking forward to this game more than any other this season.  

...and I'm completely serious.  

-------------------------------------

I remember all of it...

Art Schlichter passed all over Northwestern.  He was my favorite player.  As a shrine to Art, I made a life-size #10 Ohio State player out of construction paper and hung it in our kids playroom in my grandma's basement.  Earlier that year, my Aunt Penny gave me a prized possession.  She met Art at Kingsdale Madison's and asked him to sign something for my brother, Keith, and me.  I still have it.  "Matt & Keith, Good Luck! Art Schlichter"  I bet Art wishes he kept a little bit of that luck. :) 

I was rooting for 100 points that day; at one point it seemed possible...but, the Buckeyes stopped at 70.  The Scarlet and Gray looked immortal...almost overwhelming.  Before that day, my view of the team was what I saw watching them on TV every Sunday morning...the condensed, very poor production quality highlight show airing on WOSU PBS.     

The weather was perfect...a crisp, sunny Saturday afternoon.  I saw the Ohio State Marching Band, Brutus and the cheerleaders.  I saw Earle Bruce...but, I was confused because I thought maybe his real name was "Earle the Squirrel" and he could be seen on Friday afternoons at "Rally in the Alley." 

Almost 90,000 people were there.

...and, I was 7 years old.

I went with my dad to my first Ohio State Football game.  It was incredible...Ohio Stadium was majestic...I instantly loved it!

This Saturday is a biggie.  I'm taking my youngest son, Jake, to his first game.  He turned 5 this summer, but he reads Ohio State football articles at the level of a 7-year-old. 

I think I'm may be more excited than he is!  Although, that is debatable because he's a pretty big fan. :)  

I hope I can see the stadium again for the first time with Jake.  

I could see his noticing that you can get two different kinds of mustard for your hot dog.   

I could see his noticing that there are a lot of stairs up to row 31 Section 30...it's possible he'll tell me exactly how many around 11:45am this Saturday.  

I could see his noticing that the band members with the big drums would have to be really strong to march around with those.

I could see his noticing that they play a lot of his favorite songs over the speakers when play has stopped...and they play them loud.

I could see his noticing a t-shirt on some young guy that says "Muck Fichigan" and asking what that means.

I could see his noticing that he might be able to run as fast as the Ohio State players if he eats his dinner to grow big and strong...and joins me for a run down the block and back once in a while.

I could see his noticing he can add 6 points faster than the scoreboard when Ohio State scores a touchdown and another point when they kick it through the bars...and he's extremely quick at multiples of 7.

I could see his noticing Safelite logos from Daddy's work and singing "Safelite repair, Safelite replace." :)

I could see his noticing some guy walks up and down the stairs yelling something and selling soda.

I could see his noticing there are policemen perched at the top of the stadium.

I could see his noticing that he knows all the words to "Carmen Ohio" -- his lullaby as a baby...and so do 107,000 other people.

It will be an amazing game, just because it will be.

I hope Jake notices they ring a bell in the southeast corner of the stadium after a victory when they send us home together.

Touchdowns:  Curtis Samuel, Zeke Elliot, Dontre Wilson, Michael Thomas, Nick Vannett, Devin Smith, Rod Smith

OSU 52 Kent State 49 

Go Bucks!  Beat Kent State!  Michael Bennett for Heisman! 

Stout Pops

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 3 Comments