Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

What in-game offensive adjustments would you have made verses VT

0 HS
ShawneeBuck74's picture
September 10, 2014 at 8:10am
25 Comments

Read all of the articles and participated in a lot of posts these past few days -- part of the grieving process for this loss...

The only potential positive from getting knocked down is learning how to get back up. I hope the Bucks (coaches included) learn something from this.  

Here's the adjustments I think I would have made in game/halftime to counter the bear/cover 0 defense:

Plays:

--run off tackle with a pulling guard and/or TE and/or big H back acting as fullback.  A/B gaps were shut down, so run through C/D.  Use those blocking receivers as decoys to clear out space or simple just to block.

--roll the pocket out while the X/Y run a longer 15 yard out and the H back a 3-5 yard out underneath, with TE dragging across 

--instead of only 3 verts, break one or two off for a comeback route

--run more crossing patterns & three step drops so JT could get the ball out quickly

--throw to the RBs out of the backfield 

--keep running the speed option that was working

--middle screens to the RB

--give JT a safe and easy hot receiver to to hit when pressured

Other:

--Michael Thomas, Devin Smith, & Dontre should have stayed in the game the 4th quarter. Give James Clark or Johnny Dixion a shot. Use Jeff Greene's size.

--stop trying to pin VT deep on kickoffs, we gave away field position and the one that went out of bounds after we tied the game killed our momentum. Just just get a touchback. We do not execute this well at all.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 25 Comments