Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

My Virginia Tech Assessment

0 HS
HeuermanTheFireman's picture
September 10, 2014 at 2:41am
20 Comments

So I've been looking for the game for a few days now and I finally found it. I just wanted to do an assessment of what I saw. Due to the fact that I have to be up early I have only looked at the first half, so hopefully if you guys are interested I can get the second half done tomorrow evening.

The point in me wanting to do this is hopefully to open up some dialogue between some of the rational 11W members that are left. So we can assess what we think in term of what we do well, poorly and what needs fixed. If you are going to be negative without having a valid point to back it up, turn around now please.

First Half Takeaways:

Our defensive line played well. They were consistently collapsing the pocket, getting to and forcing Brewer out of the pocket.

As a unit the defense is not seizing opportunities to get off the field on third down. Defense played well until 3rd downs i.e. letting Brewer complete a 3rd and 17 while standing in his own end zone. If we can force a punt, in a few of these situations it might change the game.

Curtis Grant plays well downhill but his coverage leaves something to be desired.

I think the secondary didn't play bad at all. Coverage was good, alot of the catches VT made were great plays, or linebackers responsibilities. Eli Apple made a great play on the first drive, he played his man perfectly and was rewarded with a takeaway.

They could barely run on us. But I think we could run to the ball better on short/ intermediate pass completions. 

Our offense was also horrible on third down. 

We had the ball four times inside of VT's 40 (3 times in the redone) and left with only a touchdown. Not efficient. 

The offensive line played well in the first half in my opinion. Virginia Tech was bringing 7 or 8 guys every play. They weren't giving Barrett 7 seconds every play to pass but they were, for the most part, giving him enough time to escape or get rid of the ball quickly.

Some plays were left on the field offensively. Corey Smith dropped a passed that I would have caught. Dontre dropped a ball that would have extended a drive (first drive of the game I believe). A snap was fumbled on third down which Barrett wisely jumped on and a snap was bobbled that was supposed to be a touch pass to Dontre when the put him in fly sweep motion, it looked to me that he might have had a chance to take it. Barrett again wisely ate the ball. 

Zero run game except Barrett. He ran for over 70 yards in the first half and made some good decisions pulling the ball down. His passing wasn't bad, those corners left little margin for error. He had a bad miss in which he under threw Corey Smith on a sure touchdown (resulted in a Fuller pass interference and Barrett ran for the touchdown). Other than that he did well, having to make quick decisions.

Special Teams play was horrible in the first half. I honestly do see any way it wouldn't be graded out as an F. A high snap forced Johnston to shank a punt, Ron Tanner gives the Hokies 15 yards by tackling the returner in the stands, Nuernberger pushes a field goal and bounces the second off the upright. All these miscues coupled with mediocre returned, not good.

VT did a great job coming up with plays when they needed them and other than that we couldn't get out of our own way.

VT played sound and we couldn't get out of our own way despite not playing god awful. 

Let me know what you think, but please back it up your opinions. Thanks.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 20 Comments