Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

BIG Scheduling

0 HS
mb5599's picture
September 6, 2014 at 1:44pm
34 Comments

The BIG as a whole really needs to schedule better.  The noon games are hot garbage.  Scheduling teams like Akron, McNeese State, Howard, Western Illinois, etc. is a no win for the conference.  If the BIG team blows them out, they get no credit because they were supposed to destroy them.  If it is a close game, it "shows how weak the conference is".  If they get beat, it "confirms who weak the conference is".  Stop scheduling this garbage.  Even OSU scheduling Kent State has to stop.  I know we are upgrading our schedule, but the conference as a whole must do it as well.  The BIG needs to have some conference games starting in week 1 and then they will have some flexibility in scheduling only Power 5 teams as the non-conference opponents.  It will also help in recruiting.  If I am a top recruit, do I go to a team that plays one marquee non-conference game and then 2-3 Kent States, McNeese States, etc.?  Or do I want to go to a school that plays 3-4 tough non-conference games against Power 5 conference schools?  In the playoff era, even if you lose, it will still be  better than winning against a scrub school in the long run. I like our 2023 schedule (Boston College, Texas, and Notre Dame).  No scrub schools.  We  could probably drop one or two games and still be in the hunt for a playoff spot.  Next years non-conference schedule leaves a  lot to be desired:  Va Tech, Hawaii, Northern Ilinois, and Western Michigan.  If we lose one of those, odds are we are out contention for a playoff spot.  Unfortunately, just winning your conference is not an automatic bid (unless you are in the SEC) anymore.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 34 Comments