Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Shazier Being Shazier...Again!

drtz's picture
September 4, 2014 at 2:02pm
22 Comments

Not a big Steelers fan, but this is pretty great to hear about RDS!

From LandGrantHolyLand.com

Outstanding play for the Pittsburgh Steelers in preseason has earned [Ryan Shazier] a starting role as the regular season begins. Shazier is the first rookie  linebacker in 13 years to become a starter in Pittsburgh.

The last Steelers rookie to start in a season opener at linebacker was Kendrell Bell, who was selected by the Steelers in the second round of the 2001 NFL Draft. Bell was named the AP Defensive Rookie of the Year that season, and was also named the Steelers' Rookie of the Year. Bell earned a Pro Bowl bid and was a second-team All-Pro selection in the 2001 season as well.

Prior to Bell, the last rookie linebacker to start in a season opener was Jack Lambert in 1974. Lambert was also named the Defensive Rookie of the Year in 1974, had a legendary career with the Steelers, and went on to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

Shazier impressed his teammates in the preseason with his coverage skills and sure tackling. Shazier's teammate Lawrence Timmons told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette,"His pass coverage is awesome. You saw the tackles; he was making tackles left and right. He has the pedigree. He has all the talent and the intangibles you want in an inside linebacker."

steveoz49's picture

We'd expect nothing less from one of our own

+7 HS
saluki2007's picture

ONE OF US!  ONE OF US!

+3 HS
45OH4IO's picture

Gooble Gobble Gooble Gobble!

BuckFly's picture

Ryan. Damn. Shazier. 

Enough said. 

+4 HS
KBonay's picture

Not bad for a fat kid...

+2 HS
BuckeyeinSavannah's picture

God I hate the Steelers, but I love RDS

+5 HS
OSU725's picture

My thoughts exactly

+2 HS
BassDropper's picture

Hate the Steelers, but Shazier landed in the perfect spot. Pittsburgh is known for having great LBs and Ryan looks to be next in line. Will always root for my Buckeyes no matter what team they play for.

DIRECTIONER

+2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Hope he can have a very productive Rookie campaign. Really difficult to make the jump form college to the pros, especially on defense and particularly as an LB. Good luck, Shazier. 

oversizedrooster's picture

wow this is great..hall of fame potential? i think yes! canton is calling you ryan!

i like roosters

-2 HS
d5k's picture

The Steelers got a steal.  In fact you could call them stealers.  Pun intended (to be obnoxious).

+3 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Did someone say Timmons?

+1 HS
Buckeytrips's picture

NO, NO they did not. Move along nothing to see here.

AndyVance's picture

Go get 'em young man. We're all pulling for you.

Tater_Schroeder's picture

I hope he doesn't tackle anyone in Weeks 1 and 6. Other than that, go kill some running backs.

How Firm Thy Friendship

d5k's picture

Please don't kill or maim Gio...

OurHonorDefend09's picture

Steelers continuing to troll the shit out of my life.

Don't give up... Don't ever give up.

+6 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

Buying the fiance a Steelers Jersey while I buy myself another Browns jersey. I already told her any Steeler jersey will be of an ex-Ohio State Buckeye. RDS is who she wants. Well, so be it. I am happy with that selection.

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Ryan - hasn't even played a down in the NFL regular season and he's already making a huge name for himself and a difference on his team. Pure leadership ability - my Browns are not happy bout this.

+1 HS
45OH4IO's picture

I can't read a Shazier thread without thinking "Addition by Subtraction".

+1 HS
NashBuckeye's picture

So now i have to root for Pittsburgh to lose games 7-0 on Pick Six vs. Big Ben

OSUFlash's picture

Here we go Steelers here we go!! What a great weekend for college and the NFL.

osuflash

+1 HS