Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

When were these series scheduled?

silverbullet71's picture
September 4, 2014 at 1:43pm
15 Comments

I know most times marquee series are schedule 8-10 years in advance. It got me to thinking and wondering, when were the series with Va Tech, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas and Oregon scheduled?

Va Tech: 14' & 15'
Oklahoma 16' & 17' (2008)
TCU 18' & 19' (2012)
Oregon 20' & 21' (2012)
Texas 22' & 23' (2012)
Notre Dame 22' & 23' (8 years in advance)

tennbuckeye19's picture

If you look at the links on the bottom of this schedule page, there are blurbs about most of these series and could probably answer your question about how far out these games were scheduled.

+1 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

Oregon and Texas were scheduled since Urban became coach. I remember seeing VT and Oklahoma on the schedule since around the time Troy Smith and Beanie were around.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

brandonbauer87's picture

I "think" VT was scheduled somewhere around 2008. 

Unky Buck's picture

This far in advance actually seems rather normal. Cal was scheduled way in advance and so were the USC games. Georgia and Tenn were also scheduled way in advance but circumstances has since cancelled the games with them. I don't think this is really out of the ordinary if that's what you're wondering.

Seattle Linga's picture

We really do not hold back with the new playoff format. 

Remington2323's picture

I promise one or more of these scheduled series will change. We were also scheduled with Tennessee and UGA but they were cancelled.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Some may be cancelled and that is typical however the SEC not leaving their region sounds about right. 

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

While I'm a big proponent of bashing the SEC for not leaving their region, or state in a couple cases, the cancellation of those 2 series falls on Ohio State. We are the ones that cancelled with them. It's not to say that maybe it wouldn't have been cancelled either, but scheduling conflicts arose that cancelled the matchups unfortunately.

+1 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

wasn't it cancelled due to league and league schedule expansion?.and If so how is that on Ohio State?

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here its a war room

Unky Buck's picture

Tennessee was the result of the schedule expansion but Ohio State is the one that cancelled it. You can call it whatever you like or put reasoning behind it, but Ohio State is the one that cancelled the game, not Tennessee and that's the point. There was a claim that it was more about the SEC not leaving their region and this was on OSU. Plus they schedule Georgia a month later so is that really the reason?

The Georgia cancellation is also on OSU as there was an agreement between the Pac-12 and the B1G to play one game a year. There is confusion behind this one, but the reasoning levied to the public was because of that agreement. Again, blame whomever you like, OSU is the one that cancelled this meeting too.

bigbadbuck's picture

Thanks for clearing that up........

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here its a war room

-2 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

The series with North Carolina set for 2017-18 was also cancelled recently.  

silverbullet71's picture

I found TCU and Oregon at the bottom of that link provided, thanks!

+1 HS
Haubtimus Prime's picture

I thought I heard on TV that OSU and Va Tech scheduled the series 12 years ago.  I can not find anything to verify that statement though.

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

The best thing about the '23 ND game is that it means Ohio State will only have six home games.

Excellent work Gene, excellent work.